triple/compact

carl9547
carl9547 Posts: 16
edited June 2009 in Road beginners
hello,can anyone tell how much work is involved in converting a compact to a triple,ultegra mech.and how much would i be expecting to pay.
carl..

Comments

• Gary D
    Gary D Posts: 431
    What shifters do you currently have?
    They are by far the most expensive item. £150 +
    If you have 105 STI's then you may be lucky as they are both double and triple compatible.
    Otherwise, you will definitely need a new chainset and bottom bracket and front derailleur and possibly a new rear derailleur as well.

It could start getting very expensive :shock: :shock: However, triples are great :D
    (Sits back and waits for the tirade - why change to a triple it only gives one more gear? blah blah blah............ :lol: )

Tell us exactly what your current set-up is and it will be easier and more accurate to advise.

Gary.
    Oh and I feel like I've been raped by an Orangutan :shock: And I've got legs like Girders :lol:
  • John C.
    John C. Posts: 2,113
    Expensive, you may be better off fitting a mountain bike cassette or at least one with a bail out gear, I think you need to be more specific about what you have and what you want to do. I say time and time again when people ask compact or triple, if you have to ask the question then go for the triple.
    http://www.ripon-loiterers.org.uk/

Fail to prepare, prepare to fail
    Hills are just a matter of pace