Wet Weather Lube

Ax
Ax Posts: 36
edited June 2009 in Workshop
I'm doing the Blenheim triathlon tomorrow and having looked at the weather forecast (rain, rain and more rain) am a bit concerned about making sure my chain is lubed.
I'll be driving down the motorway (in the rain) with the bike on top of the car - Will this wash off the lube? and if so how can I re-lube it bearing in mind that the chain will be wet? and what type of lube should I use? or given that it's only 20km will it not really matter?
Hopefully it won't rain and I won't have to worry. Any advice appreciated.
2005 Dawes Galaxy
2008 Specialized Rockhopper Disc
2009 Focus Variado Expert

Comments

• If you want rain resistant lube use WD-40 you can buy it in cans from the auto sections of halfords, you have to pour it on rather than spray it but it lasts for ever. I put it on my chain about a year ago and there's no sign whatsoever that it's worn off i'm sure it will last at least another two years.
    Ribble Gran Fondo
    Focus Black Hills
    Raleigh Chopper
  • AndyOgy
    AndyOgy Posts: 579
    WD40, are you sure?

I've used the following during pretty heavy rain and it always seems to stay put:

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Mode ... delID=1041

Good luck with the triathlon.
  • giant_man
    giant_man Posts: 6,878
    If you want rain resistant lube use WD-40 you can buy it in cans from the auto sections of halfords, you have to pour it on rather than spray it but it lasts for ever. I put it on my chain about a year ago and there's no sign whatsoever that it's worn off i'm sure it will last at least another two years.

WD-40 is a releasing agent NOT a lubricant, and should not be used on chains. Use it clean your chain but use an actual lube afterwards. WD-40 will actually strip away any existing lubricant and leave your drivetrain dry - metal on metal. Basically, spraying this stuff on your chain is worse than using no lubricant at all.

http://bicycletutor.com/no-wd40-bike-chain/

If you want a good lubricant for wet weather, then Finish Line Cross Country wet lubricant is one of the most water resistant chain lubes out there. It is good stuff.

http://www.cyclesurgery.com/212/Finish- ... ign=pid212
    http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Mode ... delID=1041
  • softlad
    softlad Posts: 3,513
    If you want rain resistant lube use WD-40 you can buy it in cans from the auto sections of halfords, you have to pour it on rather than spray it but it lasts for ever. I put it on my chain about a year ago and there's no sign whatsoever that it's worn off i'm sure it will last at least another two years.

WD40 is fine as a chain lube no matter what anybody else says - but have you really not lubed your chain for a year..??

PS - wonder how much that 'bicycletutor' guy gets paid to recommend FinishLine and TriFlow...
  • Frank the tank
    Frank the tank Posts: 6,553
    For wet weather I use a spray on chain lube that you can get from motor factors. If you clean it after every ride and re-lube you'll be fine.

No need to purchase any supposedly super-duper "designer label" stuff IMHO. Regular cleaning is key which when talking about wet rides, it should be after every one.
    Tail end Charlie

The above post may contain traces of sarcasm or/and bullsh*t.
  • nickwill
    nickwill Posts: 2,735
    I can't believe some of the advice on here. WD40 will remove any lubricant that is already on your chain. It won't lubricate your chain for 2 hours, never mind 2 years!!!!
    Spray lubes are not a good idea, because you want the lube on the rollers not on the outside of your chain where the lube will serve no function other than to attract dirt.
    Finish line Cross Country is great for wet conditions but does necessitate regular cleaning, because it is a bit of a dirt magnet. My favourite for Summer use is Pedro's Road Rage, and their Syn Lube for wetter conditions.
  • AndyOgy
    Nickwill wrote:
    I can't believe some of the advice on here. WD40 will remove any lubricant that is already on your chain. It won't lubricate your chain for 2 hours, never mind 2 years!!!!
    Spray lubes are not a good idea, because you want the lube on the rollers not on the outside of your chain where the lube will serve no function other than to attract dirt.
    Finish line Cross Country is great for wet conditions but does necessitate regular cleaning, because it is a bit of a dirt magnet. My favourite for Summer use is Pedro's Road Rage, and their Syn Lube for wetter conditions.

I thought my advice was ok?

Agreed that the chain does need regular cleaning due to the sticky properties of the wet lube but I clean my chain once a week anyway.

And, for the record, I'd never put WD-40 anywhere near my chain.
  • alfablue
    alfablue Posts: 8,497
    I use Prolink Progold all year round, drivetrain stays clean, lubed and silent with weekly application. I don't know if it is a designer brand, but at £4.50 for more than a year it is cheap enough IMHO.
  • father_jack
    father_jack Posts: 3,509

"A little learning is a dangerous thing; drink deep, or taste not the Pierian spring: there shallow draughts intoxicate the brain, and drinking largely sobers us again."
    Say... That's a nice bike..
    Trax T700 with Lew Racing Pro VT-1 ;-)
  • nickwill
    nickwill Posts: 2,735
    AndyOgy wrote:
    Nickwill wrote:

I thought my advice was ok?

Agreed that the chain does need regular cleaning due to the sticky properties of the wet lube but I clean my chain once a week anyway.

And, for the record, I'd never put WD-40 anywhere near my chain.
    Andy, I didn't mean to critiscise your advice. Finish Line Cross Country is decent lube, I've used it myself. I just pointed out that it means you have to clean your chain regularly.
    It's the recommendations for WD40 and spray lubes that I was less happy with.
  • AndyOgy
    Yeah, I must admit that the WD-40 advice surprised me. I thought that myth had long since been put to bed.

Haven't got a summer lube yet but may well try that Pedro's stuff that you mention. My wet lube certainly picked up loads of dust on just one ride on Thursday.
  • balthazar
    balthazar Posts: 1,565
    Basically, spraying this stuff on your chain is worse than using no lubricant at all.

That "bicycletutor" is a little excitable. WD40 is mostly solvent with a little light oil, and lubricates a chain tolerably well, as would be expected. A dry –unlubricated– chain squeaks, and will assuredly wear out faster than one which is lubricated with a weak oily mixture. Even water works better than nothing.

http://draco.acs.uci.edu/rbfaq/FAQ/8a.8.html
    http://draco.acs.uci.edu/rbfaq/FAQ/8d.2.html
  • softlad
    Nickwill wrote:

like balthazar says, WD is just a light lube in a carrier solvent - but a lot of people seem to think it is the devil's own chain lube, for some reason. I've used it on cycle and motorcycle chains for years...

You say spray lubes are 'not' a good idea, which puzzles me. 99% of the lubes sold for motorcycle chains are aerosol-based. Contrary to your advice, the best place to aim the lube is between the sideplates, not on the rollers...
  • WD stands for 'Water Dispersal'.

The 40 stands for the 40th formulation that, I think, NASA tried before they were happy.
    So it's good for getting rid of water (and also washing out grease and lubrication), and isn't really designed as a chain lubricant.

For the record, I use Finish Line dry lubricant generally, unless I'm mountain biking in filthy conditions, or touring in wet weather and then I use Finish Line Cross country.
    Neither are perfect, but they're alright.

I also give the chain, sprockets, and jockey wheels a good scrub regularly.
  • Oh, and when I use the dry lube, I do it the night before I ride, so that the solvent holding the lubrication has time to evaporate, leaving the lubrication in place.

Otherwise the stuff just flings off the first time you go spinning...
  • softlad
    and isn't really designed as a chain lubricant.

nobody said it was - but it is perfectly adequate nevertheless...
  • Ax
    Thanks for all the advice - I actually had some of the Finish Line in the shed that I'd forgotten about so have gone with that. I used to use it on my MTB but got fed up of keep having to clean the chain as it does seem to attract the dirt.
    2005 Dawes Galaxy
  • Ax
    Oh – And sorry for inadvertently starting a debate as to the correct usage of WD-40!
    2005 Dawes Galaxy
  • giant_man
    giant_man Posts: 6,878
    [quote="balthazar"]
    Basically, spraying this stuff on your chain is worse than using no lubricant at all.

That "bicycletutor" is a little excitable. WD40 is mostly solvent with a little light oil, and lubricates a chain tolerably well, as would be expected. A dry –unlubricated– chain squeaks, and will assuredly wear out faster than one which is lubricated with a weak oily mixture. Even water works better than nothing.

http://draco.acs.uci.edu/rbfaq/FAQ/8a.8.html
    http://draco.acs.uci.edu/rbfaq/FAQ/8d.2.html[/quote]
    I don't know about excitable, I just thought it was common sense!
  • k-dog
    k-dog Posts: 1,652
    I agree that ProLink Gold is very good in the summer - it stays on well but isn't quite enough for all the grime of winter.

I found Cross Country a bit sticky - it gets really mucky easily.
    I'm left handed, if that matters.