Stronglight Helion Recall from Planet X

HonestAl
HonestAl Posts: 406
edited June 2009 in Workshop
Planet X have just recalled the stronglight helion chainsets they've been supplying.

I've got a PX bike with the helion chainset, so am in the process of trying to take it off in order to return it When the bike came there was no stronglight instruction leaflet, and there's nothing on the stronglight site referring to helion chainset. In fact the only download documentation leads me to believe that I'm either removing the left OR right crank depending on which version of "activ link" is used on the helion.

I'm a bit of a novice when it comes to bike mechanics so don't want to apply to much brute force. So here's the stupid question. I'm trying to get the LEFT crank off, right? And it's a conventional anti clockwise to loosen thread?

Having removed the cap I can get a (8mm?) allen key to fit and purchase in the centre of LH crank but it's tight as a very tight thing in tight land. Don't want to just apply a huge amount of pressure and hope, so if you've got yours on and off, please give me some confidence :)

Thoughts please chaps
"The only absolute statement is that everything is relative" - anon

Comments

• HonestAl
    problem sorted. Brute force wins out again
  • proto
    proto Posts: 1,483
    I bought a Helion from Planet X too. They are offering a FSA K Force in exchange. Any opinions on whether that is a decent chainset/offer or not. Or just ask for a refund?
  • proto
    Not sure if it's this one:
    17376.jpg

or this:
    35912.jpg

Both are K-Force Mega Exo :?:
  • HonestAl
    heh, beats me which picture it is. Perhaps one is a compact and the other not? I can't read from the pics.. where did you find them?

This crankset got a decent review (barring the price) on Bikeradar

http://www.bikeradar.com/gear/category/components/chainset/product/k-force-mega-exo-chainset-and-bottom-bracket-12902
    However I've seen people on Weightweenies complaining that this FSA is heavier than the stronglight.

The way I look at it is that for the price I paid for the stronglight when I got it with the bike (they were having a "carbon crankset freebie upgrade"), then replacing it with this is a way better deal that what I'd get for the same money. What did you pay for yours?
  • proto
    I paid £200. But I've now got a Campag Record carbon compact going spare, so I thought I'd use that and ask for a refund.
  • HonestAl
    sounds like a decent idea. I'm getting the replacement, according to Adrian at PX they should be able to ship it Monday, pretty good turnaround eh?