Have I gone soft thinking about knee/shin pads?

paulstumpy
paulstumpy Posts: 11
edited June 2009 in MTB general
ok so the other night I ran out of skill and I came off big time. Proper crunch! The ground is like concrete and I came down onto my knee and shin. :cry:

Luckily just bruised and grazed. I am however off the bike as my knee HURTS!

What do people think about wearing knee/shin armour if you are just a crazy XC rider? You know singletrack and rushing downhills!?! :?:

If you use them what do you recommend? It all sounds a little restricting and hot to me at the moment!
Specialized Stumpjumper 120 expert - 2005
Pushed Talas
Pushed Septune

Comments

• GHill
    GHill Posts: 2,402
    I've started wearing some for general riding, partly due to pedal strikes and bad knees. They are not as restricting or hot as I thought they would be.

I wear POC bones.
  • upinsmoke
    upinsmoke Posts: 278
    I've just got back in to biking after a long time off and I've got myself a pair of kyle straights before I go near anything a bit tricky.

Too many dodgy football tackles, bmx injuries and "squash knee" has left me with a left knee that can dislocate at the strangest times.

I really don't care if I can't ride well enough to look like I need them...I know I do.
  • gaz047
    gaz047 Posts: 601
    i use kyle straits at trail centres mainly, find their pretty light and comfy and don't restrict your pedalling.
    don't be worrying what other people might think (although to be honest can't see anyone slating you for it. after all its self protection) if you want to wear them, wear them :wink:
    if it ain't rainin.....it ain't trainin
    Stick your 'rules' up your a%se
  • paulstumpy
    edited June 2009
    Excellent! I have looked at the POCs nice but pricy! I've seen the Kyle Straits they look a good compromise between protection and comfort. Are they a sock type pull on or straps? :D
    Pushed Talas
    Pushed Septune
  • gaz047
    gaz047 Posts: 601
    sock type mate, with 2 straps (one top one bottom) to adjust width
    if it ain't rainin.....it ain't trainin
    Stick your 'rules' up your a%se
  • paulstumpy
    looking on ebay now! I see if I can find some used... try 'em out then... how do they size?
    Pushed Talas
    Pushed Septune
  • -liam-
    -liam- Posts: 1,831
    Have tried elbow pads and knee pads and I hate them all. Uncomfortable and restricting. Won't bother again. Just learn not to fall off and when you do you look 'ard with blood trickling down your shin/arm :lol:
  • 661 webby for size guide
  • upinsmoke
    upinsmoke Posts: 278
    paulstumpy wrote:
    looking on ebay now! I see if I can find some used... try 'em out then... how do they size?

I thought i'd be a medium as I'm 5'10" and average build but measuring my leg against their chart I was at the high side of large and the fit is snug although I reckon they'll stretch a bit as they get worn in.

Very comfy though and feel like they'll take a good knock.
  • dave_hill
    dave_hill Posts: 3,877
    paulstumpy wrote:
    If you use them what do you recommend? It all sounds a little restricting and hot to me at the moment!

There's nothing G-A-Y about using pads. I use my RaceFace Rally FRs for trail centres and riding where it's rocky and/or unfamiliar especially in the wet.

I can't recommend them highly enough and they get rave reviews everywhere. They're secure (they won't slide down - they can't because they rest on your foot) and they cover the full length of your shin down to the ankle - which many knee and shin combos don't.

They're all-day comfortable in all weathers although they can get a bit sweaty when it's really warm. But personally I'd rather be a bit sweaty than in A&E. I wore them all day at Kirroughtree in August last year with no problems.

As for being restrictive - pfftt!! You forget they're on after a bit!!
    Give a home to a retired Greyhound. Tia Greyhound Rescue
    Help for Heroes
    JayPic
  • On the other hand... I tried 2 sizes of Raceface FR pads, a set of 661 knee/shin and hated them.
    sweaty,uncomfortable,restricting,looked like I was a storm trooper..... way OTT for trail riding .

Kyle Straits on the other hand are great. Very good protection, no where near as sweaty, very comfortable and offered great support for my dodgy knee.
  • stumpyjon
    stumpyjon Posts: 4,069
    Another vote for Kyle Straits. Got them for trail centre use but after falling off on ice at Christmas and bashing my knee I'm now more likely to wear them for general XC riding.
    It's easier to ask for forgiveness than for permission.

I've bought a new bike....ouch - result
    Can I buy a new bike?...No - no result
  • Northwind
    Northwind Posts: 14,675
    I wear my Kyle Straits almost every ride, except for really placid unchallenging XC mile munching... They're no hassle to wear and they do offer good protection. They might never stop a severe injury, but I don't really wear them to avoid getting crippled, since that's so unlikely anyway. But, they already have stopped minor injuries- it doesn't take a lot to ding up a knee to the point that your ride is over, or becomes a painful slog home, plus a week of limping around and moaning.
    Uncompromising extremist
  • lawman
    lawman Posts: 6,868
    never used em and i never will, unless i go abroad like the alps or whistler

i think they take away some of the "bravery" in that every one who wears them instantly feels like a god
    im gonna do down the sam hill root for the forseeable future :P
  • lawman
    Since I've started wearing kyle straits and a FF helmet, I feel exposed without them.
    I feel exposed in my pisspot now! :shock:

BUT... I feel that if I push harder and faster (which is good fun) I'm more confident that i'm protected.

All depends on how hard you ride i guess.
  • lawman
    lawman Posts: 6,868
    yer i rode a ff over christmas and early new year and now the weathers turning better its just gathering dust in my room and tbh i feel i ride faster without it. maybe it just feels faster but i dunno, then again i hardly wear gloves in summer either so im a bit hardcore :lol:
  • paulstumpy
    interesting!

The reason I thought about it is.... I mainly XC but then there are the parts when you are rushing downhill and you brush a tree with your shoulder or slide on some loose dirt... the thing is my crash was relatively boring... stupid 'trying to get out of a rut' the bike decided it liked the rut then wallop type crash. I'm still off the bike for probably another couple of days due to the knee. If I'd had a proper crash who knows...

I'm defo going for some Kyle straits ... I like the look of the plastic armour but I live in a non rocky but its rooty so probably don't need the plastic. Regular Afan visitor though... and now the rocks scare me! :oops:
    Pushed Talas
    Pushed Septune
  • RossOB
    RossOB Posts: 82
    661 Kyle Straits!....enough said
    Giant trance x3
  • randomage
    randomage Posts: 100
    To be honest, i never really thought twice about wearing pads or anything bulky, I've done judo since i was 6 and that's taught me how to fall properly without really injuring myself. i can come off at reasonable speed and all ill get is a bit of surface grazing on the extremities. I'm currently on the lookout for a decent ff helmet however, getting more into DH which tends to bite without at least some protection....
    "The day after tomorrow is the first day of the rest of your life. That way, you always have a couple of days in hand." - Bill Bailey
  • SafeRider
    SafeRider Posts: 14
    I have 661 Riccochet knee/shinguards for anything a bit crazy, but I often wear football shinguards. They hide under your pants nicely and protect very well against pedals hitting your shins and sharp, thorny plants in woods and such places. Get some heavier duty hard shell guards though if you do try it.
  • europeandy
    europeandy Posts: 118
    those kyle straits look tops and get good reviews, do they protect your shin from the pedals tho, and if not what do you use
  • dave_hill
    dave_hill Posts: 3,877
    bigbenj_08 wrote:
    On the other hand... I tried 2 sizes of Raceface FR pads, a set of 661 knee/shin and hated them.

But by your own admission Ben, you are a bit "special"... :lol::lol:
    Give a home to a retired Greyhound. Tia Greyhound Rescue
    Help for Heroes
    JayPic
  • lynseyf
    lynseyf Posts: 47
    I really like the Dainesse ones. I was thinking about stopping wearing them as i hadn't fallen off my bike for ages then I had a really stupid, slow speed fall where I didn't hurt myself at all... except my knee landed right on a rock. My knee was sore and bruised through the knee pads, god knows what it would have been like without them :shock:
    I don't care what I look like, I would rather not be injured at all.
  • Northwind
    europeandy wrote:
    those kyle straits look tops and get good reviews, do they protect your shin from the pedals tho, and if not what do you use

They're knee only... I don't wear shin pads myself but I understand why people do
    Uncompromising extremist
  • elPedro666
    elPedro666 Posts: 1,060
    stumpyjon wrote:
    Another vote for Kyle Straits. Got them for trail centre use but after falling off on ice at Christmas and bashing my knee I'm now more likely to wear them for general XC riding.

Eh? Surely it's the other way round? Trail centre's are kinda safe & predictable, XC is totally unpredictable (unmaintained trails etc) with (potentially) random rocks, trees and drops, unrideable sections (up & down), walkers & general debris. Plus there aren't people cruising past every 30 seconds?

Sorry, this should be another thread but I fear it would go on & on & be unbearably dull like a SPuDs/flats thread! :roll: :lol:
    WTD:
    Green Halo TwinRail
    25.0mm-26.2mm seatpost shim
    Red X-Lite bling
    Specialized ladies BG saddle (white?) 155mm
    RH thumbie
    700x28c CX tyres&tubs
    Flatbars 620mm 25,4mm & swept, ti in an ideal world
  • elPedro666
    More on-topic, I still have (somewhere) some cheap pads I bought years ago which ended up causing much more damage than not wearing any would've done (they slipped & stripped the skin off with their unfinished edges). So would recommend getting decent ones (like everyone's recommending), rather than trying out a cheap pair first.

I still ride without because I just can't stand the sweaty clamminess. Possibly a good modern pair would convince me (rubs his sore knee)... :oops:
    WTD:
    Green Halo TwinRail
    Red X-Lite bling
    RH thumbie
    700x28c CX tyres&tubs
  • paulstumpy
    I'm more worried about my knees! much more complicated when you damage them!

Trying to get out later and give the knee a go!

As for crashing properly I thought I was awesome...I did tuck my arm in ... my mate following said the three barrol rolls I did were mega! :D

oh yeh one last thing on the crashing thing.... I landed in stinging nettles :shock: .. whats the best cure? Please don't say Doc leaves! :roll:
    Pushed Talas
    Pushed Septune
  • elPedro666
    paulstumpy wrote:
    oh yeh one last thing on the crashing thing.... I landed in stinging nettles :shock: .. whats the best cure? Please don't say Doc leaves! :roll:

Stop being a wuss about them :roll: :lol:
    My favourites are the ones that get inside the bramble/gorse cuts... :evil:
    WTD:
    Green Halo TwinRail
    Red X-Lite bling
    RH thumbie
    700x28c CX tyres&tubs
  • paul.skibum
    paul.skibum Posts: 4,068
    I have some 661 shin and knee pads (race lite) and dianese elbow - I wore them a lot when I first got them but now they are for Alps trips only and not always then.

Last year they saved me from a broken shin bone (tib/fib I cant remember which is which) but I still had a monsterous hematoma so not perfect! I tend to strap them on the pack for rides up then pop em on to go down which in the Alps is pretty easy to do - trail riding and UK descents are maybe too short for this sort of faffing.

I like the look of the Kyle Staights - but I do like the shin protection element (more so these days!)
    Closet jockey wheel pimp whore.
  • Northwind
    edited June 2009
    elPedro666 wrote:
    Eh? Surely it's the other way round? Trail centre's are kinda safe & predictable, XC is totally unpredictable (unmaintained trails etc) with (potentially) random rocks, trees and drops, unrideable sections (up & down), walkers & general debris.

Depends on the trail centre, the XC and the rider I guess... Innerleithen or some sections of GT black cram more peril into 20 metres than the 20 miles of my normal local loop. So I can understand the logic. And I think maybe you're more likely to get carried away and bite off more than you can chew at a trail centre? But none of my nastiest crashes have been at a centre, in fact they weren't even on dangerous sections of path, just stupid mistakes.

So I wear my pads almost all the time, I figure with my record I'm as likely to break a limb in the kitchen while I'm getting changed as I am on the descents (I broke my hip in my driveway, and tore the ligaments in my knee in the garage, both times getting ready to go for a motorbike ride- but in 50000 miles, a race, 10 trackdays and 6 crashes I've never hurt myself on a motorbike) Accidents have a habit of getting you when you least expect it.
    Uncompromising extremist