105 STI levers, broken?

cooper.michael1
cooper.michael1 Posts: 1,787
edited June 2009 in Workshop
Hey!

Front 10sp 105 STI lever on the way to work today, suddenly stops indexing...it no longer clicks, almost like the ratchet mechanism is broken. Ive just had a look now and there is defiately no real click at all...under no cable tesion it does pull the cable a little bit and locks in place, but not how it should

Terminal case do people think? They are only 6 weeks old, so under waranty...but for something costing £200 it is a big dissapointment, not to mention relegating me to the MTB until i get a replacement!

Comments

• justresting
    justresting Posts: 292
    I think if you search the site you'll find there have been reports of some probs with 10 speed left hand lever on 105 s. I have been using one for 3 months now & up to press have had no problem. TOUCHES SOME WOOD !!!!!!
    ' From the sharks in the penthouse,
    to the rats in the basement,
    its not that far '
  • k-dog
    k-dog Posts: 1,652
    Yeah, happened to me the day after I got my new bike. Replaced under warranty and it's been perfect since.
    I'm left handed, if that matters.
  • nferrar
    nferrar Posts: 2,511
    Yeah had problems with mine to, a crash meant I needed to replace them and got Ultegra instead and not had an issue since.
  • peanut1978
    peanut1978 Posts: 1,031
    should be able to pick one up cheap on ebay

no problems here (touch wood) in last 7 months and 3000 miles
  • JC.152
    JC.152 Posts: 645
    mine did that last year at cat and fiddle but that turned out to be a little bit of cable stuck in the shifter(cheers to Rourkes lendin me duraace rourke 8) )
  • Sparklehorse
    Sparklehorse Posts: 126
    yep - it's a fault I'm afraid. The ratchet went in my l/h front 105 shifter after about 5 months.
  • El Gordo
    El Gordo Posts: 394
    I was all set to get a pair of 105 shifters until I started seeing these reports popping up.

It's ironic really as they would be replacing a pair of Sora levers which have worked flawlessly for 40000 miles in all weathers with nothing more than an occasional squirt of GT85. The only reason for new ones would be because I inexplicably feel the need to upgrade (the rest of the bike is much posher). Perhaps I should reconsider.
  • alfablue
    alfablue Posts: 8,497
    I bought a secondhand pair of Ultegra's to upgrade Sora, as I was put off by the 105 stories. For £30 it was a brilliant decision, only thing is they don't look new - not a problem.
  • [Tim]
    [Tim] Posts: 64
    nferrar wrote:
    Yeah had problems with mine to, a crash meant I needed to replace them and got Ultegra instead and not had an issue since.

+1 Same here

Mine went after about 1500km and I got ultegra as a replacement
  • cooper.michael1
    I sent back the shifter to ribble to get a warranty replacement...how long do Shimano normally take?

As people say with Campag ergos and a Campag rear mech, it shifts a shimano 10sp cassette ok...im tempted to go buy Veloce ergos and Rear mech (is around £120) then flog the shimano's....it is an idea.

Im hacked off about this, and the other annoying quality issues with shimano. My new XT chainset on my commuter bike creaks like mad...the old square taper deore was better! It seems Shimano stuff at the moment is 'all show and no go' in my books. They should spent less money on electronic dura ace and more on providing decent quality reliable groupsets for the majority of normal enthusiasts...
  • cooper.michael1
    El Gordo wrote:
    I was all set to get a pair of 105 shifters until I started seeing these reports popping up.

It's ironic really as they would be replacing a pair of Sora levers which have worked flawlessly for 40000 miles in all weathers with nothing more than an occasional squirt of GT85. The only reason for new ones would be because I inexplicably feel the need to upgrade (the rest of the bike is much posher). Perhaps I should reconsider.

Seriously i had Sora shifters on my my turbo trainer bike for 4 years, and certainly with the front shifting id say they are better that the current 105 setups, and much more robust. Ok the rear shifting is better, but probably becuase it is 10sp so the shifts are closer together.

Interestingly if you are looking for better shifters for a shimano 8sp set up, Campag 10sp ergo levers pull the exact same amount of cable as those 8sp sora's so will work spot on.
  • scherrit
    scherrit Posts: 360
    We've seen a few 105 front levers broken- it's usually when the cable starts getting a little slack and (on a double chainring setup) the rider isn't getting the shift up to the big ring on a single click. They then shove the lever again, and because all current 105 levers are all triple enabled, but being used as a double (saving on stock items I guess), the lever goes another click at massive cable tension, breaking the ratchet.

The levers now come with a warning not to push them beyond the second click on a double installation.

Very un-Shimano-like to send something which is not bulletproof out into the market place, I guess they must have had a good number back under warranty..
    S.
    If you're as fat as me, all bikes are bendy.
  • grantstats
    grantstats Posts: 43
    I Agree, not great build design.

Mine broke after 2 months and was replaced immediatley by Evans under warranty without a quibble.
    Surely more road users are going to have 105 in a double setup rather than a triple?

Still a big shift from small ring to big ring which is not great. Almost waiting for it too happen again.
    FCN 4