Stuck Lockring

inspiro
inspiro Posts: 2
edited June 2009 in Workshop
I'm a bit of an idiot most of the time,
i got a spacer set and a lockring and to mke it easy i put the spacers on the wheel so they're covering the splines, then put the lockring on the wheel as well so i knew where it was then went to take it off but managed to tighten it, i know i'm an idiot, now it's stuck and very tight and i can't remove it becasue i cant see the spline and there's no cassette or gear attached to the wheel.

if anyone has an ideas, to help.

it would be much appreciated.

Comments

• Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    royal-fail.jpg
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    hold the spacers tighter.

IE a vice.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • redvee
    redvee Posts: 11,922
    Cone spanners and an allen key and strip the hub down, take the freehub off and lock it in a vice and turn the lockring anti clockwise. Apart from that nothing comes to mind.
    I've added a signature to prove it is still possible.
  • nicklouse
    Mmm problem.

you normally can not get the drive side cone and lock ring out from behind the lockring.

But it does depend on what the hub is.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
  • redvee
    nicklouse wrote:
    Mmm problem.

you normally can not get the drive side cone and lock ring out from behind the lockring.

But it does depend on what the hub is.

There has to be clearance over the cone etc for the lockringtool to fit between cone and lockring?
  • nicklouse
    Mmmm the lock nut should/could be accessable but the cone will not come out due to the bearing shield (talking shimano hubs here)

k7hub.gif

and a lot of cartridge bearing hubs have the spacers with a wide flange covering the bearing and this flange is wider than the cassette lockring so you can still not remove the freebody.

now some hubs will allow the freebody to just pull off (Hope) so just a soft faced mallet would sort it.

but again it depends on the hub (construction).
  • redvee
    Only stripped older hubs like STX era, can't comment on newer Shimano hubs.
  • nicklouse
    but even on the old hubs was not the seal bigger than the lockring hole? as it sealed on the inside of the body?

anyway the OP is going to have fun.
  • Monty Dog
    Monty Dog Posts: 20,614
    Cut some spacers off - they're only plastic or ally and then you can grip the freehub body
    Make mine an Italian, with Campagnolo on the side..
  • El Gordo
    El Gordo Posts: 394
    Use one of those tools which weak people use to remove jam jar lids - like an oil filter remover but with a rubber strap rather than a chain.

That should grip the spacers tight enough to get the lockring off (unless you did it up really tight for some reason).
  • crankycrank
    crankycrank Posts: 1,830
    Try using a hairdryer to heat up the lockring. The idea is to just get the lockring warm but not the body that it's screwed onto so that the ring expands and comes off easier. Worth a try.
  • keef66
    keef66 Posts: 13,123
    Sounds like a decent enough excuse for a new bike to me!