not the nicest looking bike ive seen...

Si78
Si78 Posts: 963
edited June 2009 in MTB general
Hi,

Was looking on the Trek website and I saw this...weird....and £1300!? :shock:

http://www.trekbikes.com/uk/en/bikes/mo ... nglespeed/

has anyone got or seen one of these in the metal?

Si
Why has my sig been removed by the admins???

Comments

• dunker
    dunker Posts: 1,503
    looks like a triple choclate cake, mmmm hungry.
  • Si78
    dunker wrote:
    looks like a triple choclate cake, mmmm hungry.

I was thinking that Bobby Sands had something to do with the colour scheme :shock:

Si
  • GHill
    GHill Posts: 2,402
    They had a much better colour scheme on it a couple of years ago. Not even slightly tempted though, and that's weird for me with bikes.
  • rob_mafia
    rob_mafia Posts: 136
    You're right it's not the nicest bike ever, and it's brown..........nearly dissentry brown.......
  • junglist_matty
    junglist_matty Posts: 1,731
    I don't get the point in having two different sized wheels, especially if the drive wheel is smaller than the front wheel! - I bet that thing is really shit to ride, I wouldn't want to ride it, plus its fugly.
  • beige

yuck
    Ned Flanders: “You were bicycling two abreast?”
    Homer Simpson: “I wish. We were bicycling to a lake.”

Specialized Rockhopper Pro Disc 08
  • k2rider
    k2rider Posts: 575
    if it had gears i could be tempted, i wouldnt mind trying the 69er to see if the larger front wheel makes as much difference as they say it does.
    who cares?
  • but it would still be beige!

• Kiwi Kranker
    Kiwi Kranker Posts: 416
    One word.

Horrific.
    Scott Ransom 10

Stumpy FSR Comp

Wilier Izoard

1994 Shogun Prairie Breaker Expert...ahhh yesssss

'I didnt need those front teeth anyway..'
  • MrChuck
    MrChuck Posts: 1,663
    k2rider wrote:
    if it had gears i could be tempted, i wouldnt mind trying the 69er to see if the larger front wheel makes as much difference as they say it does.

http://www.trekbikes.com/uk/en/bikes/mo ... r/69er3x9/

And even a better color scheme.

I think there were a couple of the older ones knocking about at the Dyfi a couple of years ago, they looked a lot nicer than the new one!
  • adb1006
    adb1006 Posts: 938
    I really like it (the colour scheme, not wierd wheel sizes and lack of gears) :?

Then again, i prefer anything that looks a bit understated and not in your face bling. I can't stand bikes dressed up in over-the-top colour coded bits and pieces just for the sake of it - looks tacky and chavvy IMO.
  • BigJimmyB
    BigJimmyB Posts: 1,302
    Rob Mafia wrote:
    You're right it's not the nicest bike ever, and it's brown..........nearly dissentry brown.......

Top Rave Viking in your sig mate!
  • pirwin1
    pirwin1 Posts: 248
    I don't mind the colour scheme and I like the fact it has no gears :)

BUT, different sized wheels :? hmmmmmmmmm...........
  • Kiblams
    Kiblams Posts: 2,423
    I have considered putting a 29" wheel on the front of my bike as the forks will take one easily, also like the concept as it goes will with my rigid fork.

Here is a good article explaining the reasoning behind the different size of wheels;

http://www.mtnbikeriders.com/2007/05/15/why-a-69er
  • my bike is understated in the colour scheme department, but she's not beige - do you get my drift? :wink:

• JK in the UK
    JK in the UK Posts: 132
    ooh wow! I think that looks gorgeous! not sure about the wheel sizes etc but love the colour scheme :oops:
  • Si78
    ooh wow! I think that looks gorgeous! not sure about the wheel sizes etc but love the colour scheme :oops:

OMG, I hope ur joking??? lol

Are you, like, a coprophiliac??? lol

Si
  • Si78
    I guess taste is a personal choice,

But Trek make some gorgeous bikes...The one below is one of my fav looking bikes of the moment.
    http://www.trekbikes.com/uk/en/bikes/mo ... ies/6700e/

million times nicer looking than the one in my original post!

Si
  • Si78 wrote:

Si

oooh YUCK :shock:

• Si78
    Si78 wrote:

Si

oooh YUCK :shock:

hehehehehheeeeeeeeee :P

Ive got my dictionary head on today 8)

Si
  • i could mention another type of head, but that would be rude, wrong and downright offensive - bit like that bike... :wink:

• Si78
    i could mention another type of head, but that would be rude, wrong and downright offensive - bit like that bike... :wink:

very tactful of u :)
  • papasmurf.
    papasmurf. Posts: 2,382
    looks an dniche arguments aside, they're not bad bikes, Matt Carr came 2nd in the singlespeed catergory at bikeradar on one.
  • bluechair84
    bluechair84 Posts: 4,352
    I always thought it made more sense to reverse it to make a 96er - youd have the larger wheel at the back to roll over the bumps and smoothen the ride of a hardtail - and the smaller wheel at the front making it more manouverbale though the woods....
    Hotrod styleee
  • DrWorm
    DrWorm Posts: 66
    Thing is Trek know it looks 'individual' and they mention it in their blurb:
    This singlespeed version tests your mettle while building your skills. And we all know there's nothin' better than puttin' the smack down on your homies while riding a brown-on-brown paisley patterned bike.
  • Mrs Toast
    Mrs Toast Posts: 636
    Brown bikes. Why do they do it? Why? I can't decide whether it's as repulsive as that brown Pitch or not though...
  • Northwind
    Northwind Posts: 14,675
    I don't get the point in having two different sized wheels, especially if the drive wheel is smaller than the front wheel! - I bet that thing is really shoot to ride, I wouldn't want to ride it, plus its fugly.

It's sort of like the logic behind a hardtail, just like suspension is most useful on the front, the bigger wheel is also most useful on the front. It's a pretty smart compromise. You should try it, you might be surprised... Singlespeed on the other hand is just silly ;)

I quite like it. Not keen on the patterns but I like the colour choice.
    Uncompromising extremist
  • rwalworth
    rwalworth Posts: 176
    MrChuck wrote:
    k2rider wrote:

http://www.trekbikes.com/uk/en/bikes/mo ... r/69er3x9/

And even a better color scheme.

I think there were a couple of the older ones knocking about at the Dyfi a couple of years ago, they looked a lot nicer than the new one!

One of these came into my work today and it actually looks quite nice in the flesh, front wheel still looks weird to me but I suppose you get used to that. The owner seemed pleased with it and thats the most important thing
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    I rode a a hardtail and ful sus trek 69er at a demo day last year, was actually very impressed, particularly with the hardtail. You could sail over larger obstacles and keep well in control.