Rockshox Revelations - 409 or 426?

KonaKurt
KonaKurt Posts: 720
edited May 2009 in MTB buying advice
I have already just refered to the Rockshox website, but am still unclear on the difference between the Revelation 409's and the 426's? Travel, colour options, and basic build seem to be idential.

Have I missed something? What IS the difference between these models?

KK.

Comments

• supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    External Floodgate option. not a biggie, but 409 not usually available after market.
  • toasty
    toasty Posts: 2,598
    The internal floodgate really wasn't much of an issue, I had a set of '07 409s that Merlin used to flog cheap. The floodgate isn't the sort of thing you'll be changing often as it's partially determined by your weight and it required an allen key to change, 10 second job :)

Fantastic forks, the new ones are meant to be much better as well.
  • KonaKurt
    OK guys, cheers.
    I see the floodgate as something not particularly essential for set up, but a nice bit of fine tuning.

So the 409's should be strictly pre-fitted OM parts only? Would that mean that they would never qualify for any required warranty work (from Fisher's) should they need them... even if they have a genuine serial number?

KK.
  • supersonic
    Most I have seen are on OE bikes. I am not sure if they have been released after market. But makes little difference, your warranty isn't with Fisher or RS, it is with the retailer.
  • KonaKurt
    edited May 2009
    Aha yes, I know warranties are directly with your retailer or point of sale, but my local shop told me they heard a few stories of Fisher's refusing/returning warranty jobs back, because they 'do not recognise' 409's as UK genuine parts....?

Anyway, I only ask because I just won a pair of 'like new' 409's from Ebay for less than £100 :) At that price for a quality pair of spares, I ain't fussed :)

KK.
  • supersonic
    If the above did happen, then the shop would have to refund you by law, or outsource the work.

Good buy for 100 quid!
  • KonaKurt
    Hmmm, yep. Basic consumer right basically.

Oh, £95 quid actually *wink* leaving change for a celebration ale or two :)
    And I double checked, I have the seller promise in print that they are virtually brand new and near mint condition throughout... just one 1mm paint nick and too much travel for his personal taste. *double wink*

I have been due for some good luck, and now have it :)

KK.
  • toasty
    toasty Posts: 2,598
    Funny you should mention that, I warrantied a set of 409s ;) I broke that bike down and sold the parts, oddly the air chambers managed to break in the post, whether the guy on the other end did something odd or they broke in transit I don't know.

I sent them back to Merlin who were happy to send them off to be warrantied, quite a quick turnaround as well. Obviously the guy who bought them was content too as he'd essentially got new internals.

I really don't think it'll make any difference.