Rims taking a beating

M6TTF
M6TTF Posts: 602
edited May 2009 in MTB general
The bontrager rims on my fuel ex are looking decidedly secondhand due the amount of sinks and scuffs from rocks flicking up on descents. Know I know the peak district is hard on bikes , so for this very reason I'm thinking of replacing them with something like xt on 717 or crossrides. I ride fairly hard but not drastically and I know if I spank 300 plus pounds on a wheelset they'll look the same in no time, my thought being I can get two cheaper sets. Anyone elses rims take a beating?

Comments

• Northwind
    Northwind Posts: 14,675
    Well, marks and scratches are normal, but I think most people just ignore that, an mtb is a tool not a work of art and tools get dinged and broken from time to time. As long as they're straight and strong, why worry, is my approach.

If you want a wee bit of protection, you could add vinyl wheel rim tape, it'll work in much the same way as helicopter tape and can look good too, cover up old scratches and prevent new ones. But I don't think anybody makes pre-cut 26" tape so you'd need to get the sort that needs ungodly skill and hand-eye coordination to apply
    Uncompromising extremist
  • ride_whenever
    ride_whenever Posts: 13,279
    silver rims don't show scratches or dings as much
  • dave_hill
    dave_hill Posts: 3,877
    My Mavic 321s are three years old and look really beaten up. But they're as true as the day the wheels were built.

As long as they work...
    Give a home to a retired Greyhound. Tia Greyhound Rescue
    Help for Heroes
    JayPic