Bianchi 6600 - Any good?

ST22
ST22 Posts: 13
edited May 2009 in MTB buying advice
Hi Guys,

New to the forum and first post :oops:

Been riding for a few years now and would like to upgrade from my Scott Reflex 20. I have around £700 to spend. Just wanted to know what anyone thinks of the Bianchi 6600? Great looking bike and decent spec. but I can't find a review anywhere. Are Bianchi selling MTB's off the back their road racing heritage or are they actually good in their own right?

Also looking at the Focus Black Forest and Cube Ltd Series.

I'm also thinking are these bikes a step up enough? I want to keep this bike for about 5 years and want something that will handle red routes, but should the need arise some hairier stuff. For this reason thinking of spending upto £1000 (Orange Crush...?)

Don't want a FS. Call me old fashioned but I just love Hardtails :)

Would really appreciate your thoughts/opinon.

Thanks

Comments

• Si78
    Si78 Posts: 963
    hi,
    The Bianchi looks nice, but has quite a poor spec for the price... Only has a rock shox dart 2 fork.
    Ive only seen Dart 2 forks on bikes costing less than £500.

Look at Boardman Comp, Team and Pro, Focus Black Forest, Specialized Rockhopper Expert Disc, Genesis Core etc etc etc

Any number of bikes have better spec than the Bianchi, and if you are willing to spend up to a grand you could afford to get a phenominal bike!

Si
    Why has my sig been removed by the admins???
  • ST22
    Thanks Si.

Good to have some unblinkered advice. Perhaps I was getting carried away by the look and name of the Bianchi. You're right, the others are better specced. So perhaps you are paying for the name? :?

I'm in two minds really, whether to spend £700 on something a bit better than I already have or bite the bullet and get as you say something phenomenal.

Just out of interest, what would you recommend for £1000. What do you think of the Orange Crush?

Thanks again for the advice. Will keep looking. :)
  • Si78
    Hi,

Glad my advice was helpful!

I am in no way an expert :shock:

But I think I have learnt quite a lot from all the experts on this forum!

I think the Bianchi is a bit of a cynical marketing thing really.. Like you say, you are paying for the name! I admit it is aesthetically pleasing tho.

Personally I reckon that if you can afford £1000, then spend it and get a brilliant bike.
    If you spend less and get a cheaper bike would it be enough of a step up from your current bike?

Everyone on here will suggest a different bike, cos we all have our favourites!

Have a look at the 'what hardtail' sticky thread at the top of the 'buying advice' page for some impartial advice.

I ride a Boardman Sport, so I can highly recommend the Boardman range. Mine is the cheapest, and rides really well, so I imagine the Pro would be fantastic!

But there are sooooo many nice bikes to choose from!

Best thing you can do is get down to as many bike shops (including Halfords!) as you can and try out as many bikes as you can. What feels perfect for one person, isnt necessarily perfect for someone else!

For £1000 you should be able to get a fab bike!

Have a good look about and then come back on here and ask as many questions as you need to.

Si
  • ST22
    Sooooooooooo many to choose from. That's half the probelm :lol:

Nice bike BTW. I had a brief look in our Halfords the other day and each of the bikes in the Boardman range look the business and are so well specced.

Cheers
  • Si78
    ST22 wrote:
    Sooooooooooo many to choose from. That's half the probelm :lol:

Nice bike BTW. I had a brief look in our Halfords the other day and each of the bikes in the Boardman range look the business and are so well specced.

Cheers

The good thing about there being so many to choose from is that you will hopefully find the perfect one for you!

And you get to spend ages poring over all the bikes specs on the internet and in the shops, comparing all the different bikes...Fantastic fun!

And yes, I love my Boardman. I was restricted to getting the cheapest cos I got it with a cycle2work voucher for £550. Couldnt justify spending any more at the time because we had come off shift at work, lost 10% pay and hours (45% overall if shift pay and overtime is included!!) etc etc :cry:

If I could apply for another voucher now I would get £1000 and get a Boardman Pro 8)

But Ive just read another post on here where someone has had to get a refund on his Pro because of quality problems... I feel guilty for recommending them all the time now!!! lol

Si