Fork on Marin Nail Trial. Any good?

BigBadBikerBoyBoris
edited June 2009 in MTB buying advice
Hi,

Thinking of getting one of these:

http://www.marin.co.uk/2009/bikedetail. ... No=3948-1F

But slightly put off by the Marzocchi 33 TST2 fork.

Does anyone know if this is a good fork and how it compares to the equivalent Rockshox forks? How does it compare to a Tora or Reba for instance? Is it reliable etc?

Thanks

Comments

• Andy B
    Andy B Posts: 8,115
    Marzochhi have had a few reliability issues lately, IMHO Rockshox are much better for reliability & performance.

If you really wanted that bike you could swap the forks for a pair of RS forks & sell the Marz before you even use them, that way you would recuperate some of the costs of the new forks.
    2385861000_d125abe796_m.jpg
  • marinman1
    marinman1 Posts: 262
    not a marzzochi fan myself. don't know if you have already settled on your bike yet, but to me this seems a better option from marin and its cheaper too http://www.marin.co.uk/2009/bikedetail. ... No=3971-1F
  • LAW4778
    LAW4778 Posts: 232
    Hi,

Thinking of getting one of these:

http://www.marin.co.uk/2009/bikedetail. ... No=3948-1F

But slightly put off by the Marzocchi 33 TST2 fork.

Does anyone know if this is a good fork and how it compares to the equivalent Rockshox forks? How does it compare to a Tora or Reba for instance? Is it reliable etc?

Thanks

Have you tried this bike i thought i wanted one until i went try it yeterday after i knew it wasn't the bike for me but each to their own.
    Trek Fuel EX 7 29er 2014
    Specialized FSR XC Pro 2010 (Gone)
    Specialized Rockhopper Expert 2009 (Gone)
  • XxxBFGxxX
    XxxBFGxxX Posts: 1,355
    my mate has the white one and the fork seems fine. he seema to like it
  • Shorty12
    Shorty12 Posts: 478
    I have a highly upgraded north side trail and its awsome tackled many blacks with it. And also if you want more travel you can upgrade to a 140mm fork as the frame allows it
  • XxxBFGxxX wrote:
    my mate has the white one and the fork seems fine. he seema to like it

I must be your mate then :lol:

It's fine. The frame is so nice that when the fork ceases to work it'll be a good one to put a really good fox fork on. Well worth the money.
    Start Weight 18st 13lbs March 2009
    17st 10lbs August 2009
    17st 4lbs October 2009
    15st 12lbs December 2010

Final planned weight 12st 7lbs
  • Ally_GT
    Ally_GT Posts: 13
    if the fork is your only qualm is the fork then get the eldridge grade for £1125, it's £200 more for a much better fox f100 fork! That's not far off the price of a set of toras. The marz 33 is a decent fork tho, feels alot better than your cheap toras. But as ia say if you can, get the elridge grade as the fork is defo worth £200 more.

The b17 linked above is more aggressive it's 130mm travel so if you think you'd like to chuck it about more then look into that, the geometry means it's harder on the uphill but more stable on the downhill.
  • Ally_GT wrote:
    if the fork is your only qualm is the fork then get the eldridge grade for £1125, it's £200 more for a much better fox f100 fork! That's not far off the price of a set of toras. The marz 33 is a decent fork tho, feels alot better than your cheap toras. But as ia say if you can, get the elridge grade as the fork is defo worth £200 more.

The b17 linked above is more aggressive it's 130mm travel so if you think you'd like to chuck it about more then look into that, the geometry means it's harder on the uphill but more stable on the downhill.

Does the Fox Fork come with a lock out? Or can the other controls on the fork be used to lock it out?
  • Ally_GT
    Ally_GT Posts: 13
    doesn't have lock out as it's the f100 R, think it's only the RLC that get lock out? you can play with the preload to stiffen them up but they won't fully lock out, but for me I'd say the weight difference and the feel of the fox are worth losing the lock out.