62mph on a road bike

Soni
Soni Posts: 1,217
edited June 2009 in Road beginners
Can't believe this vid:-

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-kZSzB4k ... re=related

Descending at 62MPH!

Imagine the type of carnage if they came off at those speeds.....

Comments

• pingpong
    pingpong Posts: 97
    TBH If we all thought like that no one would be cycling at all.it's all part of the fun :D
  • gavintc
    gavintc Posts: 3,009
    Yep, you just do want to dwell too long on the thought of a problem when descending. Just smile at the speed.
  • a_n_t
    a_n_t Posts: 2,011
    I've been up around the high 50's, it doesn't feel _that_ fast tbh!
    Manchester wheelers

PB's
    10m 20:21 2014
    25m 53:18 20:13
    50m 1:57:12 2013
    100m Yeah right.
  • freehub
    freehub Posts: 4,257
    Would this allow you to go down hill faster? :lol:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3Vz-y-gW ... re=related
  • Marcosplace
    Marcosplace Posts: 103
    I bricked it at 48 mph yesterday - especially when a ford focus overtook me and bipped his horn ..... :shock:
  • White Line
    White Line Posts: 887
    The superman position might just work, but I'd be a bit worried about steering. :shock:

I once hit 62.5 mph on my old MTB once. 8) Big long steep hill with a strong tail wind and no cars to get in the way helps a lot. Although, the computer wasn't that good - couldn't change the tyre size or anything. Didn't even show an average speed. :(
  • Soni
    freehub wrote:
    Would this allow you to go down hill faster? :lol:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3Vz-y-gW ... re=related

They say there are more out than in! :D
  • Soni
    To be honest, speed down hill doesn't really appeal to me, the reason i ride is to get fitter, and i use my bike for training, therefore i would rather push myself going uphill than downhill, if i was a racer however, obviously i would need to be hitting descents as fast as i could.....
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    Riding downhill at speed has lost any appeal it had whatsoever for me, just been out this morning again and didn't get over 30 mph and that was on a wide road. Absolutely carking it down the narrow lanes, bright sun follewed by patches of shade meant I couldn't see the road surface properly which added to my fear.
  • freehub
    Dan told me where you broke your leg when we where on the Cheshire cat, well I think its the same one, went down it yesterday, the first bit is fun and I managed 43mph but then you hit a blind summit? And it just dips madly, pretty scary and am on the brakes down there all the time even then I nearly fell off.

was a decent after crossing cat and fiddle and a sign saying Goyt valley.

I was on the cat and fiddle yesterday and I'm not the best at cornering so that first sharp corner coming down from the pub I had to take it wide at about 29mph but I got worried that the driver behind me would get p155ed off.

Then hit this long decent and was doing about 43mph, and you could see how mad the motorcyclists are!!! one must have gone past at like 80mph then another overtook that motorcycle like a maniac!!
  • Smokin Joe
    Smokin Joe Posts: 2,706
    Sean Kelly was clocked at 73mph on a TdF mountain descent.
  • Anonymous
    That's the one Will, it was after that dip, was doing 50ish, tried to slow down but only managed to get it down to (according to my garmin) 44 when I came off.
  • Gazzaputt
    Gazzaputt Posts: 3,227
    Soni wrote:
    Imagine the type of carnage if they came off at those speeds.....

Unfortunately for me this the thought my brain kicks in with on descents :cry:
  • Anonymous
    I don't have to imagine it, in fact it's firmly implanted in the front of my mind and I sometimes wake up with a start thinking about it...
  • freehub
    You came off at 44mph!?!?!?!? Wow, you're pretty lucky to be alive or alive with only a broken leg, someone must have being looking over you!

I don't know how the pro's do it, going round corners at like 40mph where I would be slowed down to 25mph or under.
  • DomPro
    DomPro Posts: 321
    Highest speed I've clocked is 45mph. I do love the fast descents. I would go faster but the hills in Surrey are relatively shorts, steep and have really poor road surface - nothing like the smooth descents in TdF.
    Shazam !!
  • sub55
    sub55 Posts: 1,025
    62 MPH they must have bottled it
    photobucket003.jpg

that`s 68.4 mph in english money love to hit 70
    constantly reavalueating the situation and altering the perceived parameters accordingly
  • Anonymous
    My garmin showed 101.2 mph today.
  • crankycrank
    crankycrank Posts: 1,830
    I have a section of the main highway near my home here in the states that allows bicycles for about a 1 mile section. It's all downhill and there was one day when the conditions were perfect, the wind was at my back and I got a good running start onto the highway, I looked at the speedo and it was reading 55mph. The speed limit was only 55mph at that time so I was going the same speed as the cars. I think I even past one or two. One of the best rides of my life!!! Some of those Pro's that are good at descending probably have skills equal to those of Valentino Rossi I would think. The lean angles they use at over 60mph are incredible.
  • freehub
    I don't trust certain speedo's and the one in that pic looks just like one of those I don't trust, with my old speedo I was doing 70mph at the traffic lights.

I got 50mph for the first time today, was awesome, I'll be doing 60mph on the same stretch some day.
  • gabriel959
    gabriel959 Posts: 4,227
    Top I have done is around 40mph but then again there are no hills of any short here in Cambs :)
    x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x
    Commuting / Winter rides - Jamis Renegade Expert
    Pootling / Offroad - All-City Macho Man Disc
    Fast rides Cannondale SuperSix Ultegra
  • Acelliott
    Acelliott Posts: 50
    Not on road and not on a road bike, so totally wrong place to put it, but if you want to see fast
    how about the 210.4kph world record

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dhAkj1UB ... playnext=1
  • bobtbuilder
    bobtbuilder Posts: 1,537
    I've done 55 mph before on a beautiful road surface in Canada.

I came off at 40-45 mph last year here in Sussex, which has ruined my confidence. Although my injuries were fairly minor in comparison to NapoleonD, I realise how bad it could have been.

I really struggle to let it get above 35 mph now. :cry:
  • freehub
    How did you come off?
  • bompington
    bompington Posts: 7,674
    92kmh (about 57mph) is my pb at the moment - down a steepish lane near Dundee that is part of my regular commute; it's a slightly bumpy surface & that kind of speed requires a big tail wind, pedalling like stink (pretty high cadence even with 52/11), & taking a slightly blind bend slightly too fast.

Who says cycling's dangerous, eh?

I did have a front blowout at exactly 50mph on the (straight) bottom section once, I was more than a bit surprised, and of course relieved, to coast to a halt in a straight line with nothing more than a dented rim.
  • bobtbuilder
    bobtbuilder Posts: 1,537
    How did you come off?

The descent in question is arrow-straight for 3/4 mile then bends right. I have ridden it loads of times, but this time there was a scattering of gravel at the corner, and as I steered the front wheel turned too far, throwing me over the bars in a summersault.

I landed upside down in a hedge. Only one cleat disengaged, and the top tube hit me full in the left testicle! The next day it was the size of a large lemon. Went to the Doctor's who told me that it had filled with blood from internal bleeding! :shock: He told me to "rest" for 2 days, to see if it drained naturally, otherwise it would have to be drained in hosipital. Luckily, it drained naturally, but I still couldn't stand up or walk around without "cupping" the affected area for about 5 days. The Doctor explained that this was because "dangling" was causing more tearing and bleeding.

On top of this, I had to call in sick and explain this. When I got back to work, my whole team of 30 people knew. I got called John Wayne for months. :oops:
  • Motor-paced, I know, but even still!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H-Pl-H3UJJg
  • fast as fupp
    fast as fupp Posts: 2,277
    How did you come off?

The descent in question is arrow-straight for 3/4 mile then bends right. I have ridden it loads of times, but this time there was a scattering of gravel at the corner, and as I steered the front wheel turned too far, throwing me over the bars in a summersault.

I landed upside down in a hedge. Only one cleat disengaged, and the top tube hit me full in the left testicle! The next day it was the size of a large lemon. Went to the Doctor's who told me that it had filled with blood from internal bleeding! :shock: He told me to "rest" for 2 days, to see if it drained naturally, otherwise it would have to be drained in hosipital. Luckily, it drained naturally, but I still couldn't stand up or walk around without "cupping" the affected area for about 5 days. The Doctor explained that this was because "dangling" was causing more tearing and bleeding.

On top of this, I had to call in sick and explain this. When I got back to work, my whole team of 30 people knew. I got called John Wayne for months. :oops:

*cries* :shock:
    'dont forget lads, one evertonian is worth twenty kopites'
  • Anonymous
    Oh my. That sounds painful bob!
  • APIII
    APIII Posts: 2,010
    I think I've just gone off my lunch :shock:
    I hope to never experience the same