First longish journey ,

ocaaaaa
ocaaaaa Posts: 55
edited June 2009 in Road beginners
Doing my first longish journey this week, first of all cycling from Hereford to Hay on Wye tomorrow, I'm just checking my route on google maps :

http://maps.google.co.uk/maps?f=d&sourc ... 44632&z=12

Then on Sunday afternoon from Hay down to Newport to catch a train back to London :

http://maps.google.co.uk/maps?f=d&sourc ... +(S.+Wales)+Railway+Station)&geocode=%3BFXAyEwMdiD7S_yGd65s0wBj4YA&hl=en&mra=pe&mrcr=0&dirflg=w&sll=51.777133,-3.088608&sspn=0.631311,1.785278&ie=UTF8&ll=51.831534,-3.048706&spn=0.630551,1.785278&z=10

Do those routes look OK?

I'm taking my bag which has universal tool, portable pump, spare inner tube and some tyre levels, oh and a GPS in case I get completely lost :) Oh and some sugary snacks (I'm diabetic)

Any advice / tips, do those routes look OK ?

Thanks, wish me luck 8)

Comments

• Garz
    Garz Posts: 1,155
    Wishing you luck mate, sorry I cant be of any use about the journey as im a beginner really!

Let us know how it fares anyway. :)
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    They look fine, first one should take about 1hr 20, second one about 3 hrs.
  • fto-si
    fto-si Posts: 402
    You could always amend route 2 to take in Gospell Pass.
    exercise.png
  • ocaaaaa
    Never heard of Gospell Pass , but I like the idea of going most of the journey through the park!

Something like this looks appealing

http://maps.google.co.uk/maps?f=d&sourc ... +(S.+Wales)+Railway+Station)&hl=en&geocode=%3B%3BFXAyEwMdiD7S_yGd65s0wBj4YA&mra=dpe&mrcr=0&mrsp=1&sz=12&via=1&dirflg=w&sll=52.006019,-3.103981&sspn=0.152589,0.198441&ie=UTF8&ll=51.851898,-3.03875&spn=0.153114,0.198441&z=12
  • fto-si
    fto-si Posts: 402
    That final route you posted will take you up Gospell Pass, with this weekends weather the views from the top will be amazing. I wish it was me going up there!
    exercise.png
  • ocaaaaa
    Sounds good :) I'm quite glad now there is engineering works so I have to cycle to Newport and not get the train !

Will try and get some pics up when I get back :)
  • Mothyman
    Mothyman Posts: 655
    how was the ride ocaaaa?
    which bike were you on?
  • ocaaaaa
    I just cycled back from Paddington - the ride was great, some amazing views from up there.

Unfortunately I was quite tired as I only slept 5 hours on Friday night and Saturday night we were camping in Hay and I got 7 hours of sleep but very interrupted

The climbing up from Hay to Gospell pass was a nightmare, ended up walking about a quarter of it !

I also got completely lost , luckily I set off early so was still in time for the train - total journey ended up being 60 miles instead of 40 :oops:

I thought I was quite fit, but that uphill proved me so wrong.

Hereford > Hay was great , and I only got a little bit lost on that one !

Was on a Synapse 105 Carbon
  • ocaaaaa
    Feel suprisingly good from the long ride - only thing that seems to hurt are my ankles :?

I might do the same distance again this weekend around Richmond park - providing the weather is good :P