New to cycling

andrew_1972
andrew_1972 Posts: 4
edited May 2009 in Road beginners
Hello all,

Discovered this site as I've been bitten by the cycling bug after 16 years of long distance running at good club level. Last year, after my first marathon, I fancied a change and bought my mate's Giant OCR. All went well but I kept getting aches and pains in my lower back and soon realised that it was the wrong size for me as I'm only 5' 6" and this was a 54/M. I kept running throughout the winter and cycled occasionally but la couple of months ago, I took the plunge and bought an Orbea Onix. Wow! I now love this sport! I've been out on some long rides with a local club and with some cyclist friends and am now looking at my first winter bike which I'll throw abuse at during the cold dark months.
I'm very fit from a distance running point of view but I've come to realise that this doesn't count for much when transferring across to cycling. I'm slowly building up distance and intensity and I'm incorporating a 1 - 2 times weekly 50 min session on my mate's turbo trainer. Last night, I did a 22 mile ride at an average speed of 19.4 mph (according to my bike computer).

I still get nervous around the traffic when I first set out on rides but I'm sure this will subside.

Anyway, great forum and any tips and advice would be greatly appreciated.

Kind Regards,

Andrew.

(Pic shamelessly nicked from epic cycles website)
orbea.jpg

[/img]

Comments

• Garz
    Garz Posts: 1,155
    Nice bike, I am the same height as you so what frame size did you get it in and roughly how much it cost?
  • Hello,

The frame size is 50cm and it cost £1349 (or thereabouts).

A.
  • Garz
    Did you get yourself measured up or just try a few bikes out? Just curious as im weighing up a new bike!
  • I tried (sat on) out a couple of frames and 50cm just felt right. My mate has a 52cm Scott Speedster and he's 5' 4" and yet is comfortable riding it.
  • Garz
    Ahh ok, thanks for the info Andrew!