Chainring bolt diameter/spacers

MrChuck
MrChuck Posts: 1,663
edited May 2009 in MTB workshop & tech
Anyone know what the standard Shimano chainring bolt diameter is? I want to order some spacers for a singlespeed conversion but don't know what size I'd need and don't have it in front of me.

Comments

• redvee
    redvee Posts: 11,922
    All chainring bolts should be the same diameter, give or take a small margin of machining tolerance.

Don't know where you're looking for spacers but VeloSolo seem to be on the ball for bits 'n' pieces like this.
    I've added a signature to prove it is still possible.
  • MrChuck
    Ah, I've been a bit thick! I'd seen the different sizes and thought they referred to the diameter but it's the thickness isn't it?

I actually want them to put a SS chainring in the middle position on a triple crank- it won't fit directly because the middle position has a little shelf on it that the outer doesn't. So the spacers (if they fit in there!) would effectively be between the middle ring and the spider. Any reason why this would be a bad idea or wouldn't work?
  • redvee
    redvee Posts: 11,922
    If you're handy and careful with a file you can remove this lip if needed. I did with my MTB after mounting the ring and marking where to file.
    I've added a signature to prove it is still possible.
  • MrChuck
    I'm reluctant to start filing stuff down if I can avoid it so the spacers seemed like a good bet. They're pretty cheap so I've ordered a set and will see how I go... Thanks for the VeloSolo link!
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    google chainring spacers.

not cheap.

about 9,8mm or 0.4"
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown