the 'tonk' in my forks

kingsfool
kingsfool Posts: 189
edited August 2009 in MTB workshop & tech
right everyone. i have posted about this before and am very greatful for the advice but nothing has worked.

basically, when i hit an edge with my revelation duel airs they make a 'tonk' noise. and on repeated bumps it drives me insane. it sounds like the noise you would get on less expensive forks regarding the bushes and build quality.

Merlin Cycles have been superb with there after sales help and advise that the bushes may be tight, which does kind of make sense.

the noise does seem like it is something giving into the pressure of a bump.

have tried increasing the pressure in the negative air but no success.

before i send them off back to Merlins, is there anyone who may have a cure?

my last resort for the problem! thanks for your advice!

miles
BUrN mY EyES

Comments

• supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    Without experiencing it, it will be difficult to say what it is.

Can you feel it when compressing the fork when not riding? Try letting the air out and compressing.

Does the damper settings affect it?

can you video it?!
  • kingsfool
    kingsfool Posts: 189
    thanks.

when you compress the forks normally nothing. if you compress them by giving them a fast compression - lifting the wheel and then pushing the forks into the ground - then yes. it is audible. and you can feel it through the handle bars.

is strange, and i am swayed towards the verdict that the bushes are tight just like Merlins said. But i just want rid of it!

Tried adjusting settings but nothing. They were fine when I first got them and were pumped with around 90psi, but of course i cant run them at that. as soon as we added pressure they started to 'tonk'!

thanks dude!

Miles
    BUrN mY EyES
  • ilovedirt
    ilovedirt Posts: 5,798
    are you totally sure it's the fork and not play in the headset?
    Sorry to sound patronising, but i've had a similar thing with the headset
    Production Privee Shan

B'Twin Triban 5
  • izthewiz
    izthewiz Posts: 154
    Hub bearing? Loose QR? I've had both, but started (wrongly) checking the fork.
    The only bad view from the saddle is of the point of impact rising rapidly to meet you.
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    TBH just use it.

If you can get some audio that could be good.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown