Which carbon road bike has a triple?

Mothyman
Mothyman Posts: 655
edited June 2009 in Road beginners
I am new to road biking but I want to buy a carbon bike with a triple - for the hilly areas around here. Most triples seem to be in the cheaper bikes but I have 1700 to spend (lucky me). My friend had the Trek 1.9 triple but I wanted a carbon one if poss.
Also I prefer comfort over aggression - until I loose some blubber !
Which bikes would suit me?
Should I ask the LBS to convert a double for me - all within my budget?
Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    Why not but a custom bike like a ribble sportive?

You can build one up with Ultegra triple and Ultegra/Open Pro wheels for a lot less than this and it would be absolutely excellent!
  • Mothyman
    its an idea Napoleon, but I am too beginner-ish for a self build...my old MGBGT in the garage (not driven in 5 yrs) is proof of that.
    but I'll save your reply for 2020.
    cheers
  • fto-si
    fto-si Posts: 402
    Mothyman wrote:
    its an idea Napoleon, but I am too beginner-ish for a self build...my old MGBGT in the garage (not driven in 5 yrs) is proof of that.
    but I'll save your reply for 2020.
    cheers

I think Napoleon is suggesting that you select the components and Ribble build it for you.
    exercise.png
  • Mothyman
    oh..thanks fto-si and Napoleon.
    showing my ignorance - i will checkout Ribble.
  • merlinghnd
    merlinghnd Posts: 106
    Focus Cayo 105 is also available in a triple. I have one, my first road bike, wanted to be sure I could get up hills and very happy with it.
  • Anonymous
    You select the Ribble Sportive bike, then where you see the groupset click 'change' and choose the Ultegra Triple.
    Obviously you can choose all the other bits like wheels and bars and stuff.

They build it for you.
  • Mothyman
    hey Napoleon..just seen the Ribble site - looks good..I assume there must have been plenty of forum chat about Ribbles before - i punched in the triple ultrega and it looked good value...do they have a 'weak link'/components to avoid?
    I'll need to do my research a bit more on bike components.

Slightly diff subject - merlinghnd above - did you guess the fit for your Focus or go to a fitting place first? I'd sort of thought I need a fit - being long arms and short legs
  • k-dog
    k-dog Posts: 1,652
    You can get a carbon Trek Madone with a triple - not the really top end ones but a 4.5, 4.7 or 5.2 (the 5.2 is the better frame with the integrated seat mast thing - the 4.* are the cheaper frame without the fancy BB and a regular seatpost).
    I'm left handed, if that matters.
  • Anonymous
    Mothyman wrote:
    hey Napoleon..just seen the Ribble site - looks good..I assume there must have been plenty of forum chat about Ribbles before - i punched in the triple ultrega and it looked good value...do they have a 'weak link'/components to avoid?
    I'll need to do my research a bit more on bike components.

Slightly diff subject - merlinghnd above - did you guess the fit for your Focus or go to a fitting place first? I'd sort of thought I need a fit - being long arms and short legs

People have been absolutely raving about their ribbles.

No weak link in the chain but everything can be upgraded still within your budget...
  • Anonymous
    Have a look at this link, obviously the spec is defferent (Campagnolo stuff) but it gives you a good idea of what to expect...

http://www.bikeradar.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=12626277
  • cougie
    cougie Posts: 22,512
    £1700 is prob overkill for a first road bike.

http://www.planet-x-warehouse.co.uk/aca ... edium.html
    is £1200 - cracking spec - compact rather than a triple, but the gears are nearly as low.
    You could pay an extra £500 - but you wouldnt notice any difference in performance - so you can spend the difference on kit.
  • Anonymous
    Cougie, that ribble only came to 1200 quid and is IMO better spec with better wheels...

Don't forget PX charge 100 quid to build it too, as the OP wanted...
  • bahzob
    bahzob Posts: 2,195
    Another option ended up serving me well since I started cycling is to find a good local bike shop. For my first bike I wanted a Roubaix but with a triple and the bike shop was happy to swap the supplied compact set for one.
    Martin S. Newbury RC
  • freehub
    freehub Posts: 4,257
    I'm thinking what if I did not buy the caad9 and went for a ribble sportive frame and forks for use with my winter bike components :\...

Oh well maybe next summer I'll get the sportive :D

Why not just get a compact?
  • nasahapley
    nasahapley Posts: 717
    My carbon Scott Cr1 Pro came with a triple - and that was my first road bike too! I'd recommend it all day long, but if you're after comfort it might not be for you (though I can't say I've ever found it uncomfortable myself, it is apparently less so than some other bikes).

I can't see how £1700 is too much for a first bike but £1200 is about right; if you've got £1700 and see a bike you like for that much, then that's the one to get (IMO of course, but that's what I did and I haven't regretted it for a second).
  • ShaunL
    ShaunL Posts: 91
    I wouldn't worry about the triple as a choice of cassette and a compact will give you that easy turning gear you need if you blow up on a climb.

I had a triple on my first road bike but haven't had one since and the gearing on my TCR would get me up anything (as long as my lungs held out)
  • NapoleonD wrote:
    Mothyman wrote:
    People have been absolutely raving about their ribbles.

Good luck getting a reply from them. I've given up.
    It doesn't get any easier, but I don't appear to be getting any faster.
  • Anonymous
    I've personally only ever bought a pair of tyres from ribble so I don't know what the customer service is like, I've heard (via a couple of fora ) several stories like your StrangelyBrown.

I would only buy anything big from my LBS.
  • alfablue
    alfablue Posts: 8,497
    NEVER had a reply to my emails; very rude on the phone :evil:
  • Garz
    Garz Posts: 1,155
    They are upgrading their premises atm which may explain some of the problems, however I am not in any way making excuses for them. If you dont live far from preston you could go take a trip to them.
  • alfablue
    alfablue Posts: 8,497
    My unanswered emails have been sent over a period of a year or more. Given up now.
  • Anonymous
    In fact, IIRC, I phoned them about a bike about 18 months ago and they were incredibly rude, forgot about that!
  • Anonymous
    mothyman, what size frame are you?
  • Anonymous
    The reason I ask is that my LBS has a 2008 Trek 4.7 Madone for 1200 quid in a size 54 with a compact crank.

Personally I would use a compact over a triple but they could swap it out anyhoo if you did need a triple...

I went out and did some steep hills today having broken my leg in three places 11 weeks ago and I managed them on a compact...

They have it listed at Evans for 150 quid more...

http://www.evanscycles.com/products/trek/madone-47-compact-2008-road-bike-ec017631
  • Mothyman
    Napoleon, I am size 56 frame...although I have to get properly fitted as its my first proper road bike.I saw a similar Trek Madone 08 in one of my LBS.(I am E Midlands).but I had my 3yr kiddie squeeling at the time so didnt catch the size. If its a decent bike I'll take a look.
    from the helpful comments of you and others I reckon a compact will be fine once I get half fit.
    How did u break a leg? Dont tell my missus you fell off a bike or my allowance might be swiftly removed :lol:
  • Garz
    Garz Posts: 1,155
    No that was done in his local swingers club in Homes Chapel tell her! ;)
  • Foz72
    Foz72 Posts: 81
    My Cannondale Synapse has a triple. Very happy with it and some good deals around if you have a look.
  • guilliano
    guilliano Posts: 5,495
    A compact with a 12-27 cassette should be ok for just about any hill. I found that in The Chilterns (OK, not exactly mountainous) I never used the largest 2 or 3 sprockets with my compact and I am anything but fit so if you are in a hilly area a Madone 4.5 (very comfy frame) with a big cassette will be ideal, and leave you some cash for nice comfy lycra, helmet and other kit
  • Mothyman
    thanks fellas
    my LBS are encouraging me towards the Spesh Roubaix comp altho they reckon the 2010 model is due in a month or two and they dont have a 56 framed 09 for me to test ride. they suggested i ring in 2w when they'll have more 2010 info.
    Where have you seen cannondale synapse deals Foz72?
  • Anonymous
    Mothyman, read about the leg in the blog in my signature...