Changing a chain

yr99jparkin
yr99jparkin Posts: 47
edited May 2009 in Road beginners
Ive never changed a chain before.....

Ordered a KMC gold 10 speed chain to replace the old 10S ultegra. When installing it...whats the procedure. I know how to link the chain etc.....but what about its length, will i need to determine the optimum length of the chain somehow?

Comments

• rolf_f
    rolf_f Posts: 16,015
    Ummm, same length as the old one? :wink:
    Faster than a tent.......
  • weedy1
    weedy1 Posts: 143
    If the old one is streched badly enough you can end up with your new chain being the same 'length' as the old 'un but having more links !

The way I do it is to take my old chian off and hang it on my 'chain nail TM' (an old nail knocked into the garage wall :lol:
    then hang the new one on and you can easily compare links as you go down the length.

Once you know how many links you need on the new chain (same as old), break off the excess and pow you're good to go.

I also use a wear indicator when I clean my bike so I can change chains in a timely manner that way I use 2 chains to 1 cassette.
  • schlepcycling
    schlepcycling Posts: 1,614
    Put the new chain on your bike on the big chainring and largest sprocket without threading it through the rear mech and where the ends meet add one complete set of links which is approx 1 inch. YouTube has several videos that describe this method.
    'Hello to Jason Isaacs'