Rider Radio ban for French championship

avoidingmyphd
avoidingmyphd Posts: 1,154
edited May 2009 in Pro race
This year's french championship will take place without radios. So we'll get the experiment many of us have been hoping for, but in an event where the teams are all basically crippled anyway!

Still, it will be interesting to see what effect it has. I wonder if the first few times this happens, breaks will find it hard to get away, so really we need several experiments to let it bed in to tell if it works (whatever that would entail!) or not.

Comments

• frenchfighter
    frenchfighter Posts: 30,642
    Contador is the Greatest
  • micron
    micron Posts: 1,843
    Prudhomme has been talking about at least running stages of the TdF without radios for a while so I, for one, hope this experiment succeeds - it could be the boost that the somewhat formulaic sport that pro cycling has become needs.
  • Dan777
    Dan777 Posts: 49
    It would be superb to have a ban on radio, we would get real racing, and see which riders had tactical nous, also many changes of the lead and more attacking racing. I would love to know where i can watch the french chapionships to see what happens.
  • I've long been a fan of this idea, but as others have pointed out on here, they come in handy from a safety perspective and given the other lengths teams and riders go to how would you police it?

Don't get me wrong, I support the idea of getting rid of them and making the riders think and react for themselves on the road, especially when tired and I'd hope it'd reduce the robotic nature of some stages..but how do you implement it/police it?
  • mididoctors
    mididoctors Posts: 16,646
    I've long been a fan of this idea, but as others have pointed out on here, they come in handy from a safety perspective and given the other lengths teams and riders go to how would you police it?

Don't get me wrong, I support the idea of getting rid of them and making the riders think and react for themselves on the road, especially when tired and I'd hope it'd reduce the robotic nature of some stages..but how do you implement it/police it?

they can have the radios but its race radio only... no communication to the DS

you still get the gaps and safety info
    "If I was a 38 year old man, I definitely wouldn't be riding a bright yellow bike with Hello Kitty disc wheels, put it that way. What we're witnessing here is the world's most high profile mid-life crisis" Afx237vi Mon Jul 20, 2009 2:43 pm