Deore brake split pin

dot1
dot1 Posts: 538
edited May 2009 in MTB workshop & tech
ive got a Deore M535 rear disc, which has a split pin pad retainer, which is all well and good until u have to remove the pads and it straightens the pin out! the split pin has become so loose/straight now that i noticed last night that it was half hanging out! it seems too thick and stiff to bend back as theres only a small bit that bends so cant really get very good leverage on it

any ideas how to sort it? id get a new split pin if i could find them, but id be stuck on how to get it into the caliper unless i straightened it out!

i need a quick fix/temporary solution for this weekend as im going to cannock chase, but after that id like to sort it properly!

cheers
Trek Remedy 7 2009
viewtopic.php?t=12634629

Boardman Pro Singlespeed - Sold
viewtopic.php?t=12752297&highlight=

Giant Defy 5 2012

Comments

• k2rider
    k2rider Posts: 575
    if youve got an old spoke laid about that still has the bent end on it stick that in trim the other end then bend it to stop it from coming out, worked that well for me i didnt bother replacing the split pin! :D
    who cares?
  • Steve_b77
    Steve_b77 Posts: 1,680
    Use a small pair of pliers found on a multi-tool, that'll bend the pin no worries
  • Jimbo.
    Jimbo. Posts: 124
    They bend easily enough. As above, pliers, or push a flat-bladed screwdriver between the two ends :)