Insurance - where to get it for expensive bikes?

sneakybear
sneakybear Posts: 11
edited May 2009 in Road beginners
If your bike is valued at under 5000 GBP it seems you have a great number of brokers offering a product backed by JLT. However as a non home owner with a bike worth around 8500 GBP I can't find anything at all!

Anyone any ideas or experience on the matter?

Comments

• Essex Man
    Essex Man Posts: 283
    Sell it, buy a much cheaper bike that will be pretty much as good, get insurance and then spend the extra cash on a great holiday?
  • sneakybear
    Well that is one option but I already have plenty of expensive holidays to go on...
    Any helpful advice out there?
  • bazbadger
    bazbadger Posts: 553
    Tried ETA?
    Mens agitat molem
  • sneakybear
    Thanks, just called them - unfortunately they have a maximum of 4000 GBP.
    I'll put together a list...
  • Essex Man
    Essex Man Posts: 283
    sneakybear wrote:
    Well that is one option but I already have plenty of expensive holidays to go on...
    Any helpful advice out there?

Your life sucks, man - I really feel for ya....
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    Giive me your address and I'll try and sort something for you.

When is your next holiday by the way?
  • Eau Rouge
    Eau Rouge Posts: 1,118
    bazbadger wrote:
    Tried ETA?

If it's an Orbea, you could try the "other" ETA....
  • sneakybear
    Hey NapoleonD,

Thanks mate, I'd really appreciate it if you could sort something out... my address is:
    Fulham Police Station
    Heckfield Place
    Fulham
    London
    SW6 5NL

I'm away next week actually, which is why I need it covered soon. Perhaps it's help if you saw the bike first? I normally leave my bike unlocked in Cell #2, all you have to do is break in...

I see some of you are portraying inverted snobbery. I don't need your sympathy but let it be known I've studied and worked hard to get what I have.

Just want to insure my bike from some thieving ned like everyone else! So, any better ideas.
  • arankapila
    arankapila Posts: 39
    Hi there,

I have just been reading your blog. I noticed that you have a section about cycling books.

One book (if you haven't already read it) that you should certainly read is 'The Escape Artist', by Matt Seaton.

This book brought a tear to my eye as it converses the trials and tribulations of the amateur cyclist and, more poignantly the issue of life and death when the author's wife contracts cancer.

Hope all is well with your recovery,

Aran
  • Anonymous
    Cheers mate! I'll keep my eyes peeled for that.

Sneakybear, when you said you'd do a list, did you mean of people who will insure? I could do with sorting some myself...
  • APIII
    APIII Posts: 2,010
    I know you said you weren't the home owner, but does that mean you're just renting, lodging with others? Who pays for the contents insurance where you live? My contents insurance is with Halifax and you can pay an additional premium to cover high risk items over the value of £1,500. I think my bike is covered for £3,500 or £4,000, I can't remember exactly, but that covers me for theft from my home, accidental damage outside the home i.e. riding (so long as it's not racing) and theft outside the home as long as it is locked. Maximum aggregate for high risk items is £20k, so you'd be able to get your bike covered no problem. I think it cost me £50-60 for my cover so yours would be double that obviously.
  • Anonymous
    Cancel that!

To insure my bikes separately it's 1300 quid a year!
  • sneakybear
    arankapila wrote:
    'The Escape Artist', by Matt Seaton.
    Good book indeed, my gf's read it at least 100 times...

APIII - yeah I think this is the best option open to me at the moment. I'll explore the contents on it's own kind of insurance...

NapoleonD - 1300 GBP sounds like plenty of cash to spend on insurance. Normally a tenth of your value new is insurance premium on bike only schedules so thirteen grand of bikes? what do you do for insurance?

I'll put a list together of what I find if it'll be useful.
  • Anonymous
    It's part of my home insurance with Direct Line. Less than half that cost...
  • bahzob
    bahzob Posts: 2,195
    Interested in this as well as need to sort out shortly..please post back here if you find someone.
    Martin S. Newbury RC
  • Monty Dog
    Monty Dog Posts: 20,614
    FWIW separate bike insurance premiums are typically 10% of the value of the bikes. Best deal on bike and contents appears to be M&S.

Escape Artist is a good book and Matt's still racing too - raced with him a few weeks ago, we shared a few turns on the front.
    Make mine an Italian, with Campagnolo on the side..