Are Bike Fits worth the money?

flyer
flyer Posts: 608
edited June 2009 in Road beginners
There appears to be some controversy about this, some say to do the basics yourself.

Example: Make sure you get the correct frame size and measure Saddle height, Stem length and cleats etc and you won’t be far short.

Others say getting a “professional" bike fit is a must even if it costs a wod of cash!

Thing is how good a fit can you get, it still may not be right even if you spend big money, right?

I guess it’s only worth spending big, if you are a very keen enthusiast that races etc.

There seems a big variance in prices and services?

I have followed all the guidelines, even watched fits on u-tube and I "THINK" I am not far off. But as they say a few mm make all the difference, but a few mm can cost a few hundred £!

Flyer

Comments

• redddraggon
    redddraggon Posts: 10,862
    If you are having real comfort issues on the bike it's probably worth it. A proper indepth fit like a Retul fit might be your best bet, rather than a "rough - good guess" LBS fit.

Personally I don't have any comfort issues so I reckon it would be a waste of money for me.
    I like bikes...

Twitter
    Flickr
  • dennisn
    dennisn Posts: 10,601
    Not that this will be of much help but I once made the comment that I thought nothing
    was known for sure in the world of cycling. Especially when it comes to fit. Seems that there are at least a million different fit methods and the same amount of people offering to
    sell you their services. While all that may seem daunting, one good thing about it is that,
    in the end, no matter who does it, you will probably end up with a halfway decent fit and
    it will look pretty close to the fit any other "fitter" will give you. In reality your fitting yourself with the help of videos is more than likely going to get you in the basically the same position as most "fitters". And you'll learn a lot. It doesn't hurt though, to get a second opinion. It's easy enough to convince yourself that you've "got it right", yet there is always room for improvement. Good luck. Sorry I couldn't be more helpful.
  • mm1
    mm1 Posts: 1,063
    The difficulty with DIY is that you dont really get to see yourself in action (I know that you can use video, but without the experience to interpret what you see, what use is that?). Most fitting systems rely on templates which are fine if you are average. Recent experience of a well known fitting system / shop and an equally well known coach is that the shop got things right with orthotics etc, but because their client base is old and afflluent, they put me in a position that was too short and too high. The coach (who was mainly concerned with performance analysis and writting a training programme) raised my saddle without taking adequate account of infllexibility (nearly 50).

Conclusion? A good shop or coach will get close, but you will still need to fine tune to get really comfortable and its a good idea to do some off the bike mobility and strength work.
  • Mister W
    Mister W Posts: 791
    I don't think there is a "perfect fit" for each person. Even the pros will adjust their position. Some of the top pro riders were well known for wanting constant adjustments. Buying from a good shop will get you a bike that fits (I mean a good shop that measures you, sets the bike up on a static trainer and will swap components to get it comfortable). You can then tweak the position on your own without spending loads on a bike fit.
  • freehub
    freehub Posts: 4,257
    If my fit tomorrow if they manage to have a look at me goes well and helps my knee then I'd say it is worth the money as I'm having bad knee problems at the moment causing me to have to massively reduce the number of miles I'm doing.

I should not be riding really but the doctor says it's ok so I am still riding.
  • doyler78
    doyler78 Posts: 1,951
    Yes worth every single penny.

I went from weeks off the bike at a time because I would be injured however now I've been able to build miles and do miles that previously one ride would have left me hobbling about for days.

I have now done 7x63+ mile rides in the 2 and a bit months since I go my fitting and most of my rides are not less than 40 miles except some of the commute miles (the ones that aren't extended). That is a huge difference for me and now actually can't wait to get on the bike and do a few miles. Still not done my 100 miler yet but I'm deliberately building slowly because with my history and lack of previous long ride fitness from previous years to carry forward I want to get there in good shape. It will happen in the next month. As soon as I get that out of the way then its time to do a few events.

It's funny now when I look back at my bike fitting as I was asked what events I was planning on doing (I had to think on my feet as I didn't really have any because I was always injured so what was the point of goals). I just mumbled something about a sportive way at the end of August because hey that was far enough away to forget about it. My goal when I went was just to get comfort and to sort out my problems with constant injuries as without those goals were useless. They didn't server to motivate they only served to be beat myself up about because I could never get near them.
  • bobtbuilder
    bobtbuilder Posts: 1,537
    Also, if you are thinking of buying a new bike, many shops will do the fitting free when you buy through them.
  • When I bought my first bike it was from a LBS - they looked at me, said "probably a 54 frame", adjusted the saddle a bit and away I went. I enjoyed 9 months of riding with some occasional knee pain and back pain - nothing serious and I just put it down to being part of cycling - in the same way that my groin hurts after playing football. (It's 'cos I'm getting on a bit...)

Then I upgraded to a £2,500 carbon fibre bike and got a proper bike fitting in the process. Cost me £50, but got that refunded when I bought the bike.

The fit of the new bike is perfect - no back ache after cycling 100 miles, no knee pain whatsoever. I didn't know that cycling could "feel" that comfortable. And I've used the measurements that were printed off to adjust the old bike and that too is more comfortable.

So, for me, money well spent.
  • giant_man
    giant_man Posts: 6,878
    flyer wrote:
    There appears to be some controversy about this, some say to do the basics yourself.

Example: Make sure you get the correct frame size and measure Saddle height, Stem length and cleats etc and you won’t be far short.

Others say getting a “professional" bike fit is a must even if it costs a wod of cash!

Thing is how good a fit can you get, it still may not be right even if you spend big money, right?

I guess it’s only worth spending big, if you are a very keen enthusiast that races etc.

There seems a big variance in prices and services?

I have followed all the guidelines, even watched fits on u-tube and I "THINK" I am not far off. But as they say a few mm make all the difference, but a few mm can cost a few undred £!

Flyer

I wouldn't call 50 quid (Paul Hewitt, Leyland, Lancs) a wod of cash, if you still think it is then look upon it as an investment. Worth every penny and very professional.
  • nickwill
    nickwill Posts: 2,735
    £50 (the cost of a mid range cassette) is nothing in terms of making your bike comfortable and your cycling more efficient.
    Getting the fit right could be the most important upgrade you make to your cycling
    +1 for Paul Hewitt!
  • Slow Downcp
    Slow Downcp Posts: 3,041
    Think I'm finally going to book a fit with Hewitts. My only concern is how gutted I'll be if he tells me my set up is spot on as it is! :(
    Carlsberg don't make cycle clothing, but if they did it would probably still not be as good as Assos
  • bice
    bice Posts: 772
    Re A Load of Bull's excellent post, I've come across quite a few people who have been sold the wrong size frame, leaving aside a bad set-up. Or have bought blind over the net.

I reckon frame size is something you should be able to get right by doing your own (careful) research. For eg, I have a 54 Trek which is fine, but when I was looking for an older Italian steel frame, I did not exclude those described as 53 or 52. I actually bought a 54, which I suspected, rightly, would be a bit longer and more aggressive than the Trek. I went for a shorter stem to compensate, and may go for shorter still.

Although the frame is fine, the set-up could do with improvements. I am using an old Brooks saddle pushed forward to the max. On 20-30 milers I am happy as Larry, and yet to do something longer or serious ...
  • giant_man
    giant_man Posts: 6,878
    Think I'm finally going to book a fit with Hewitts. My only concern is how gutted I'll be if he tells me my set up is spot on as it is! :(

Believe me, he won't!
  • freehub
    freehub Posts: 4,257
    In the summer holidays I might book a fit with paul hewitt, thats's if my dad will take me there, so we'll be going from york if my dad takes me, don't think he will tho.
  • oxymoron
    oxymoron Posts: 54
    freehub wrote:
    If my fit tomorrow if they manage to have a look at me goes well and helps my knee then I'd say it is worth the money as I'm having bad knee problems at the moment causing me to have to massively reduce the number of miles I'm doing.

I should not be riding really but the doctor says it's ok so I am still riding.

hello fellow OCUK'er :p
  • Moomaloid
    Moomaloid Posts: 2,040
    Anyone recommend a fitter in the south? London area?
  • doyler78
    doyler78 Posts: 1,951
    Moomaloid wrote:

Bespoke Cycling in Hoxton Square, London.

http://www.bespokecycling.com/
  • Moomaloid
    Moomaloid Posts: 2,040
    £175!!! Blimey... :cry:
  • alien
    alien Posts: 54
    Moomaloid wrote:

I was fitted by Scherrit and very good it was too. :-)

http://www.thebikewhisperer.co.uk/bikefitting.shtml

(and see https://www.londonfgss.com/thread21125.html for more views etc)
  • Chris James
    Chris James Posts: 1,040
    When I bought my first bike it was from a LBS - they looked at me, said "probably a 54 frame", adjusted the saddle a bit and away I went. I enjoyed 9 months of riding with some occasional knee pain and back pain - nothing serious and I just put it down to being part of cycling -.......

Then I upgraded to a £2,500 carbon fibre bike and got a proper bike fitting in the process. .

Of course it coudl be the case that some of the aches and pains of the first bike were down to you being new to road cycling and your body taking time to adapt?

For example my knee hurts if I suddenly up mileage after a long lay off, but is fine if I cycle regularly. The same knee sometimes aches winter mountaineering.

I agree with the poster above who said that there is little that is known for sure about bike fit however I dare say that a fitting session will result in you ending up with a decent position. You
  • Moomaloid wrote:

Anthony, ex of Cyclefit is now working at Condor. He knows his stuff.
    If they can get you asking the wrong questions, they don't have to worry about answers.
  • GyatsoLa
    GyatsoLa Posts: 667
    I think that for most people its well worth it for most people (some just seem to slot into the right size without a problem). For years before I got into cycling seriously I rode an old mtb that was too small for me. As a result, the bikes I bought that felt 'right' were actually too small for me. It was ony with a proper fitting (and sticking with the measurements for a few rides), that I found my proper bike dimensions. You shouldn't stick to them religiously - but knowing certain key dimensions is an excellent starting point to getting it right.
  • Of course it coudl be the case that some of the aches and pains of the first bike were down to you being new to road cycling and your body taking time to adapt?

Indeed. And just a miraculous coincidence that I suddenly hardened to it at precisley the same time I set the bike up properly. :roll: