A little bit of a dilemma... e13 / BB spacers etc

The Big Cheese
The Big Cheese Posts: 8,651
edited May 2009 in MTB workshop & tech
I have fitted my Saint crank set to my Marin which has a 68mm BB shell.

I purchased the correct crank set to reflect this (again 68/73mm).

Now, old set-up was:

Howitzer BB (with slightly wider cups)

2.5mm spacer non-drive side

e13 DRS BB mount / 2.5mm spacer outside the e13 then the cups (obviously)

Checked the installation instructions and according to shimano, it should be exactly the same as the existing set up was, however..... with this set up.....

The outer chainring on the Saint (it's a double plus bash) doesn't line up with the DRS, it's a bit further out so I am going to have trouble with the chainline.

If I put the spacer before the e13 it's out the other way

if I remove the non-drive side spacer the crank arm fouls the swing arm

if I put 2x spacers on the drive side it's out and I run out of axle length...

It's driving me potty.......

Can you get smaller spacers / is it worth letting the LBS getting it right for me?

:evil: :cry:

Comments

• The Big Cheese
    Just one more thought on this.

The BB spacing is right (as per shimanos instructions), I have found this out, as if the e13 DRS was spaced out anymore, even by 5mm, the outside of it fouls the inside of the saint drive-side crank arm....

As its only a chain-retention device, does it really matter if it's slightly off? ie rings not bang dead center of the stepped rubber rollers - I hope not as theres nothing else I can do!

God, I am not having much luck today! :lol::lol:
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    which howitser bb was it?

there are 2 chain line versions. 50mm and 52mm

this could explain your problems.

E 13 is mounted by? bb or iscg or both?
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • The Big Cheese
    edited May 2009
    nicklouse wrote:
    which howitser bb was it?

there are 2 chain line versions. 50mm and 52mm

this could explain your problems.

E 13 is mounted by? bb or iscg or both?

To be honest nick, no idea what howitzer it was...... Truvativ Howitzer XR is all I can find out

the DRS is BB mount, so at the moment I have:

Non drive side = 1 x 2.5 mm spacer

drive side = DRS then 2.5mm spacer

This is what shimano recommend, and was the set up originally.

The cups on the howitzer were lightly wider than the Saint. This could be the problem

The problem is that there is 1.5mm gap between the outermost part of the DRS (where the rollers sit) and the inside of the crank arm.

If I try to move the DRS out anymore with another spacer (it could do with coming out a couple of mm to be perfectly in the centres of the rollers), it will hit the crank arm.

The chain seems to run through OK so far, but i havent been out on it to check as the gearing isn't done yet so can't....

Oh and PS: no ISCG tabs....
  • nicklouse
    no part number on the bb?

and dont start worrying until it is all back together.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
  • The Big Cheese
    nicklouse wrote:
    no part number on the bb?

and dont start worrying until it is all back together.

No, stupidly I sold it on here as I didn't think I would need it again...

Hopefully, when the bike/gearing etc is done it shall be OK, it's not as if the chain can go anywhere, and if it rubs a little I shall have to live with it :lol:
  • nicklouse
    Oh yes there are different thickness spacers. Your LBS might have some :wink:
  • The Big Cheese
    another thing I 'could do' is remove the non-drive side spacer (as this may be a special case, and as long as the NDS crank arm doesn't foul) to give me a little more axle length drive-side.... may need a bit of tweaking by LBS

I could just be a git and say to him 'sort my chainline out' :lol::lol:

It never stops amazing me these little problems you don't anticipate... :shock:
  • nicklouse
    well i have a XT crank set on a 73mm bb shell with a 5mm chain device on it and it is still fine.

add that lot up :shock:
  • nicklouse
    Oh cant remember if there is a spacer in there as well or not!
  • The Big Cheese
    thats a fair old amount nick?

But as they say - every problem has a solution....

As much as I love Marin, I have had enough of them today, what with the rear end spacing and the lack of ISCG tabs..........

My brain is hurting......

Tomorrow shall give ATB sales a call methinks! :lol::lol:
  • MeddlE
    MeddlE Posts: 322
    There are also spacers that come with the E13 kit, they go between the BB mount plate and the DRS plate and allow you to alter the guide to fit the drive line. I had to use the gold spacers on mine to get it to line up.