What shades do you wear in Sunny UK ?????

Comments

• APIII
    APIII Posts: 2,010
    HonestAl wrote:
    +1 for Oakleys, I've got flak jacket XLJs with photochromic lenses (plus a pair of non tinted ones), real comfortable, very little problem with condensation. Pricey but worth it IMO.

Glad you said that as I've just ordered these from CRC :D
  • sneakybear
    sneakybear Posts: 11
    Rudy Project Rydon II Impactx Photochromatic

Best glasses I've ever owned for cycling - so light I don't feel them, can't break the lenses, photochromatic AND hydrophobic... tho not midge phobic unfortunately.
    I also have one ear about 5 mm higher than the other and the fact that they're infinitely adjustable means they sit perfectly. Oh and they're white - which is a good thing (just ask Jan)

Expensive but worth every penny in my opinion.
  • greasedscotsman
    greasedscotsman Posts: 6,962
    2x Pr's Pro M Frames
    1x Pr Radar's.................. The best HDO there are, enough said. 8)

Have to agree with you Captain, I have...

4 x Pro M's
    3 x M Frames
    3 x Racing Jackets
    2 x Straight Jackets
    1 x Jackets
    1 x E Wires
    2 x Frogskins
    1 x Eyeshades
    1 x Gascans
    1 x Sub Zeros
    1 x Monster Dogs

think I might have a bit of a problem to...
  • Cheshley
    Cheshley Posts: 1,448
    alfablue wrote:
    For clear glasses I use Bolle Contour safety glasses, cost between £5 and £7 on eBay - they are superb.

+1 for the Bolle Contours, I have clear and smoked lenses and got them both for 12 quid including postage from Ebay. These and a few pairs of cheap disposable contact lenses make more sense than risking knackering my £400 prescription Oakleys :)
    1998 Marin Hawk Hill
    2008 Specialized FSR XC Comp
    2008 Scott Speedster S30 FB

SLOW RIDES FOR UNFIT PEOPLE - Find us on Facebook or in the MTB Rides section of this forum.
  • muchalls
    muchalls Posts: 87
    Started with a pair of Iridium blades back in the 80's, currently own 2 pairs of Half Jacket XLJ (polarised & plain tint, with spare Persimonn lenses) and some M frame with Grey & Persimonn lenses, and red frame Frogskins.
    I also lost a pair of Half Jackets down the bilges of a boat (http://www.oceanrider.com.au/site/boat/), but the owner refunded the cost of the ride which covered a new pair.
    The Polarised ones are for boating.

Yellow/ Persimonn are great, turns a grey day into instant sunshine.
  • guilliano
    guilliano Posts: 5,495
    I've got a pair of Adidas Evil Eye Climacool. They work ok.... UV and blue light filters to stop all the harmful stuff and not too dark. Shame they are no longer made
  • HonestAl
    HonestAl Posts: 406
    good choice APIII. I wear contacts and can't ride without some sort of eye protection. Bit of grit under my plastic eyes at even a few MPH can prove a mite embarrassing, not to say dangerous. So photochromic seemed the way to go. Unless it's REAL dark they're fine (so the colourless lenses I've got spend 99.95% of their time nestling cosily in the case)
    "The only absolute statement is that everything is relative" - anon
  • Rich Hcp
    Rich Hcp Posts: 1,355
    2x Pr's Pro M Frames
    1x Pr Radar's.................. The best HDO there are, enough said. 8)

Have to agree with you Captain, I have...

4 x Pro M's
    3 x M Frames
    3 x Racing Jackets
    2 x Straight Jackets
    1 x Jackets
    1 x E Wires
    2 x Frogskins
    1 x Eyeshades
    1 x Gascans
    1 x Sub Zeros
    1 x Monster Dogs

think I might have a bit of a problem to...
    I thought I was bad!

I have:

Gascans

Twentys (A bit battered now)

Splice, good for cycling, but the frame around the lens creates a blindspot (Same with the Tenteys)

Bottlecap, perfect with no frame around the lens, I have the black/grey non mirrored lens and they're great, even when in shade or sunlight

I'll only wear Oakleys, they last ages, the lenes are superb
    Richard

Giving it Large
  • bobtbuilder
    bobtbuilder Posts: 1,537
    There out now CRC has them

Are you sure? I've just been on there, and they are all listed as "Special Order Only".

AFAIK - the release date in the UK is Monday 1st June.
  • Allez Mark
    Allez Mark Posts: 364
    softlad wrote:
    Sicknote wrote:
    Lidl's or Aldi's under £3 and 4 lenses :D

+1

absolute bargain....

+1

I have the Aldi ones. I left one pair on top of my car in the garage. The next time I took the car out, they fell off and I ran over them. Imagine if they were expensive ones. At least they only cost £3/4 to replace
  • neeb
    neeb Posts: 4,467
    I'm glad some other people have a few too many pairs pf Oakleys, that's one of my guilty secrets... :oops:

I have a pair of Juliets (the original plasma with emerald iridium lenses), but they are way too heavy for sports use IMHO and the curved stems make them difficult to get on and off with a helmet on. The are very cool but to be honest the weight is a bit of a hassle.

Half jackets and Flak Jackets are great for general off-the-bike use and can be used on the bike too.

M frames are my fave for cycling; they don't move and you don't notice they are there. I tried the Radars but they are a bit big IMO and didn't feel as secure as the M Frames.

It IS worth getting decent shades. Really cheap ones can slightly distort your vision and have strange colour casts; you don't notice at first, but you can end up getting headaches or feeling nauseous. Oakley used to be streets ahead in terms of lens quality, although I think some of the other big manufacturers have caught up now.
  • nferrar
    nferrar Posts: 2,511
    I have Radars to, work great but not 150 quids worth better than cheap glasses, that said I got them mostly for MTBing where the vented lens make a real difference.
  • dd1
    dd1 Posts: 73
    DHB triple lense sunglasses. Good value, easy to change. Tend to have to use the blue lenses most of the time given our great British weather
    Cannondale Super Six Hi Mod Sram Red
  • doyler78
    doyler78 Posts: 1,951
    There out now CRC has them

Are you sure? I've just been on there, and they are all listed as "Special Order Only".

AFAIK - the release date in the UK is Monday 1st June.

Your right - got a link to it so I just checked it out and seen the buy option. Teach me to read everything :lol: Ah well not long to go in that case
  • paul_or
    paul_or Posts: 156
    Kontrol Moondog - £20 off ebay and they have RX prescription inserts, thus saving me from having to use £150-£200 prescription sunnies.
    visit my blog for more excitement

http://www.flammerouge.co.uk
    Lidl's or Aldi's under £3 and 4 lenses :D

I got a pair of these for the overcast/dark days that are yellow and improve the visuals, for when its sunny I have a random pair that cost £6 from a PPE clothing company which do the job nicely!
  • andy81
    andy81 Posts: 118
    Got a pair of Nikes. Probably not as good as Oakleys, but they do the trick to help my hayfever, and have titanium frames, so are very light. Cost about £50.
  • Cunobelin
    Cunobelin Posts: 11,792
    I use Rudy Project (Ketyum) with tinterchangeable lenses. They also have an optical insert for my aging eyesight.

I love these as they are light, comfortable and the lenses are easily replaced.

Additionally the optical insert allows any optiioan to insert your prescription fairly cheaply.
    <b><i>He that buys land buys many stones.
    He that buys flesh buys many bones.
    He that buys eggs buys many shells,
    But he that buys good beer buys nothing else.</b></i>
    (Unattributed Trad.)
  • +1 for Rudy project - I've got some Rydons that are really comfy - I find the racing red lens pretty good for most of the time- just the right amount of tint.Really good all round vision

I've also got some shimano karidas that have interchangable lenses, but find they affect my peripheral vision a little bit. they look a lot less sporty though...

I had the DHB ones and found that the frames pushed into my temple a little too much and gave me a headache after a while.
  • Mickeymo
    Mickeymo Posts: 3
    Hi, I can recommend the Bolle Tracker glasses for mountain biking. They come in Clear, Smoke & Amber lenses. They have a goggle type strap that clips on to the arms to prevent them falling off on rough terrain and they are at a fantastic price.

Have a look at the clear here, only £6.97 8)

http://www.safety-one.co.uk/proddetail.php?prod=TRACPSI

Have a look at the smoke here, only £7.45 8)
    http://www.safety-one.co.uk/proddetail.php?prod=TRACPSF

Have a look at the clear here, only £7.45 8)
    http://www.safety-one.co.uk/proddetail.php?prod=TRACPSJ

If these do not suit then there is a massive range of glasses on the website.

Regards

Mike Morrell
  • EdZed
    EdZed Posts: 119
    +1 for Oakley's

Radar Path with Black Iridium, G40 and Yellow lenses. The G40 lens is superb for cycling in varying light (sunshine and cloud) conditions - considering getting the G40 Transitions so don't need to carry two lenses on days when the sun can't make up its mind if it's coming out to play.

I think the greasedscotsman must keep Oakley in business!

try http://www.steptoes.co.uk/ for discounted Oakley's - very good value for Oakley's - usually has 20% off list prices
  • liversedge
    liversedge Posts: 1,003
    I find the dhb triple lense are ok, but you tend to look over the top of them more often than not. the orange lens makes even the dullest day feel like you're riding through an eastman kodak classic film - think railway children or something.

for really sunny days (yeah right) I use my Oakley Radar - they cost a small fortune but are fantasticly comfortable and are high enough to avoid that peering over the top look when on the drops etc.
    --
    Obsessed is just a word elephants use to describe the dedicated. http://markliversedge.blogspot.com
  • Redpudding
    Redpudding Posts: 11
    free from work clear and tinted wraparound safety glasses Laughing

I'm with you megacity man! Bolle contours come with clear, dark or glare lenses perfect for me!
  • shmo
    shmo Posts: 321
    My history so far. Gradually getting more expensive.

Massi Cycling Sport Pro £25 - Frame snapped in half one day when I went to put them on

Madison D'arcs £30 - Didn't suit me. Would fall out of my helmet occasionally. Dropped them so many times the lenses were all scratched.

Tifosi Pave £40 - Just bought these today. I think they look good and they keep flies out of my eyes.
  • doog442
    doog442 Posts: 370
    Mickeymo wrote:
    Hi, I can recommend the Bolle Tracker glasses for mountain biking. They come in Clear, Smoke & Amber lenses. They have a goggle type strap that clips on to the arms to prevent them falling off on rough terrain and they are at a fantastic price.

Have a look at the clear here, only £6.97 8)

http://www.safety-one.co.uk/proddetail.php?prod=TRACPSI

Have a look at the smoke here, only £7.45 8)
    http://www.safety-one.co.uk/proddetail.php?prod=TRACPSF

Have a look at the clear here, only £7.45 8)
    http://www.safety-one.co.uk/proddetail.php?prod=TRACPSJ

If these do not suit then there is a massive range of glasses on the website.

Regards

Mike Morrell

thanks just ordered 2 pairs
  • ziggy.mcd
    ziggy.mcd Posts: 66
    I'm with the safety glasses brigade, Bolle spider flash are my favourites, bought a selection of different models to see which were best, at £6 to £7 ea. you can't go far wrong. Another plus with safety glasses are that they have to pass a proper British Standard safety criteria.

3517669023_1dedf8f079.jpg
  • On the bike I swear by Endura Shark shades but elsewhere the best sunnies ever are Oakley Crosshairs. I did the Oakley M-Frame thing about three years ago but I found that they sat a bit too close to my eyes to the point where my eyelashes were "brushing" against the lenses. I guess my point is try before you buy. Sod fashion and form, go for fit and filter. Lens quality is far more important than shape, colour, fashion and style.
    Let's close our eyes and see what happens
  • Philby
    Philby Posts: 328
    I use Bloc Stealth with 3 interchangeable lenses - had them for 6+ years for mountain-biking and had no problems with them at all, and now use them on the road bike.
  • hase
    hase Posts: 9
    As many folks here appear to have, I use a pair of Oakley Half-Jackets. I like the fit and the weight but with a fairly aggressive cockpit, I kind of wish the top of the frame sat a little bit higher. My natural head position when I'm in the drops, with the nose pads on my nose, puts the frame only a little bit above the horizon. Definitely not enough of an issue to overcome the positives, though.
  • k-dog
    k-dog Posts: 1,652
    A lot of the newer styles (Flak Jackets included) come with 2 sets of nosepads (or nosebombs in Oakley speak) which means you can fit a narrower set that makes them sit a little higher.
    I'm left handed, if that matters.