Best Chain To Fix On The Road

NWLondoner
NWLondoner Posts: 2,047
edited May 2009 in Workshop
Which chain is the best choice for repairing on the road?

I understand the principle of the missing/powerlink for KMC/Sram but what if the chain snaps at another link. Do you still have to use a chain tool or are you just stuck with a broken chain??

Comments

• dennisn
    dennisn Posts: 10,601
    Take a spare powerlink and mini tool chain breaker with you at all times, unless you're fond of walking. :wink:

Perhaps I should add that chains don't necessarily break at "master links". They tend to
    break where ever they want to. Anyway, once your chain breaks, in order to use the
    "master link"(that you will, of course, carry with you from now on) you must remove(with
    a chain breaker) the broken links so that you end up with two "narrow or inner" sections
    of chain at each end. The new "master link" then forms a new outer link between the two
    ends. And you're on the road again. Hope that makes some sense. Try it on an old chain
    and you'll see how it works. Be sure to buy the right size "master link". i.e. 7, 8, 9 or
    10 speed. Some are reusable, some are not. Good luck.
  • bompington
    bompington Posts: 7,674
    Had my first ever chain break on the road recently - no problem, I thought, getting out my chain tool - which also broke. At 40 miles from base I was glad there was a bike hire place (chapeau to Perthshire Mountain Bikes) a couple of miles away.