Cane Creek S6 headset question?

AlanW
AlanW Posts: 291
edited May 2009 in Workshop
Does anyone know if the stainless cartridge bearings from the S6 version will fit the S3?

To my horror I have just discovered that after just 18 months, and little mileage to be honest, the top bearing on my Cane Creek S3 headset is totally shot. Full of bloody water.........:evil:

So rather than fit the same normal bearing again, I'm considering upgrading if they will fit.

And before anyone suggests, yes I have mailed Cane Creek direct, but no response. :cry:

Of course I could just replace the lot for a decent Hope headset, but I cannot be bothered with the hassle, let alone the cost. :oops:
"You only need two tools: WD40 and duct tape. If it doesn't move and it should, use WD40. If it moves and it shouldn't, use duct tape"

Comments

• Captain Fagor
    Captain Fagor Posts: 739
    I'm not 100% certain that the cartridge bearings from an S6 will fit an S3, but if the "S" range is anything like the "IS" range, then the bearings should be interchangeable.
  • AlanW
    AlanW Posts: 291
    Reply from Cane Creek, see below -

Yes, the S-6 cartridge is the same dimensions and will work fine with
    the S-3 assembly.

Gary Maltby
  • andy capp
    andy capp Posts: 2
    I have a Cane Creek branded VP-A61ACK integrated headset on my LeMond. I think the dimensions of the bearings are 28.6/41/30, What cane creek integrated headset matches the spec of these headsets, as these are not available retail. Does the cane creek s6 replacement cartridge bearing fit this headset?
  • whyamihere
    whyamihere Posts: 7,702
    Go to a local bearing shop. Instead of paying £10 per bearing, you'll pay 50p.