Old racer - wheel size

sporting wood
sporting wood Posts: 62
edited May 2009 in Workshop
I've got an old racer I'm converting to a SS for commuting but have a question about the wheels.

The wheels are straight, true and original but because they're original they're not made of anykind of alloy they're heavy beasts that are a pain to stop. The wheels are stamped as 27", if I get some normal road wheels am I going to come a cropper?

Cheers

Comments

• redvee
    redvee Posts: 11,922
    If you get 700c wheels then yes, the wheels you have are 27" there is 8mm difference in diameter between the 2 with 700c being the smaller.
    I've added a signature to prove it is still possible.
  • k-dog
    k-dog Posts: 1,652
    They'll fit though. You might have to change the brakes so the pads reach the rims - you can get deep drop brakes easily.

You'll slow down a lot quicker with alloy rims and the bike will feel a lot lighter too.
    I'm left handed, if that matters.
  • APIII
    APIII Posts: 2,010
    I got an old road bike restored recently. The old wheels were shot, but I managed to get a new pair of 27" wheels built up for £165. If you know any local wheelbuilders, they should be able to do something similar.
  • geoff_ss
    geoff_ss Posts: 1,201
    APIII wrote:
    I got an old road bike restored recently. The old wheels were shot, but I managed to get a new pair of 27" wheels built up for £165. If you know any local wheelbuilders, they should be able to do something similar.

The only problem with that is the lack of a wide range of 27" tyres. £165 seems a lot for a pair of 27" wheels. I built my Shimano 105/Mavic Open Pro rims for about £150 last year IIRC.

I converted all our bikes/trikes to 700c years ago and I've never regretted it. You just have to ensure the clearance isn't so great that you can't drop the brakes 4mm to meet the smaller (622mm v 630mm diameter) rims. I haven't found it a problem.

Geoff
    Old cyclists never die; they just fit smaller chainrings ... and pedal faster
  • APIII
    APIII Posts: 2,010
    Geoff_SS wrote:
    APIII wrote:

The only problem with that is the lack of a wide range of 27" tyres. £165 seems a lot for a pair of 27" wheels. I built my Shimano 105/Mavic Open Pro rims for about £150 last year IIRC.

I converted all our bikes/trikes to 700c years ago and I've never regretted it. You just have to ensure the clearance isn't so great that you can't drop the brakes 4mm to meet the smaller (622mm v 630mm diameter) rims. I haven't found it a problem.

Geoff

Mine was for a bike that rarely gets used, so I guess for everyday use 700c could be better. I didn't think £165 was bad for handbuilts, particularly as they had to source the rims/hubs themselves and build them up for me, but then I'm from the generation that thinks £500 on machine built wheels is good value :lol:
    Re:tyres - I had no problems, Schwalbe do 27" and their range is fine for my purposes.