Forum home Road cycling forum Workshop

Change straight handlebars to drops, Claud Butler Urban 100

chazsizelandchazsizeland Posts: 10
edited May 2009 in Workshop
Hi, I'm shiny new to cycling, I was into running but broke my ankle so the doctor has said I can't do it anymore and should take up cycling.

I spent ages looking for a bike and having spoken to a few mates, had a fair idea of what to get. Then I was given a brand new Claud Butler Urban 100 as a present! I therefore have a few quid spare to change what I understand to be a commuter type bike into something that I can do some real fitness training on.

The first thing that I wanted to do was to change the handlebars from the sraights that are on the bike to racing style drop handlebars. The problem is that I know literaly nothing about bikes! Is it possible to do this? And if it is, how do I do it?

Thanks in advance

Chaz

• crankycrankcrankycrank Posts: 1,830
    It can be done but it may cost a few quid. You'll need new/second hand brake/shift levers=pricey, Possibly a new handlebar stem for proper reach. For the V-brakes you may need to buy a special adapter device. Hard to answer the question for you as it may cost you more to convert than the original price of the entire bike.