Campag chain wear and replacement

Philip S
Philip S Posts: 398
edited May 2009 in Workshop
Rather involved question this one, so please bear with me...

My Mortirolo came with Campag Centaur, which I've been very happy with. After 18 months and approx 1500 miles, I'm starting to get the occasional what I'd describe as cracking noise when pedalling. It feels like it's coming from the cranks, but I'm wondering if this could be a sign of chain wear. Any thoughts? How do I tell if the chain's needing replaced if I don't have the high-precision calipers that Campag suggest I use to measure the links?

If it is chain wear, I've already got a replacement Centaur chain, but I'd like to avoid the hassle of link pins if possible. What's everyone's experience of using missing links/quick links/powerlinks with Campag chains? I'm leaning towards the KMC link, as I know where I can get a pair locally. I know the Campag instructions say only use Campag components, but that rather smacks of market protection rather than constructive advice...

Thanks

Comments

• balthazar
    balthazar Posts: 1,565
    My first thought would be to check that the chainring bolts are tight, based on your report. These sorts of sounds can come from anywhere, though, often only resolved when an experienced mechanic inspects it.

The precision tool for assessing chain wear is a normal steel ruler: measure 12 inches of chain, and if the 12'' pin is more than one sixteenth of an inch over, then the chain should be replaced, as it is rapidly wearing the cassette out too. The dedicated tools marketed by Rohloff and Park, give an inaccurate result.
  • flasher
    flasher Posts: 1,734
    Get yourself the Park tool chain wear indicator well worth a tenner IMO, I also use a KMC missing link with my Campag C10 chain, was a tight fit but seems to work well enough, I haven't needed to undo it as yet though :?