Cold bath to ease muscles

topcattim
topcattim Posts: 766
edited May 2009 in Road beginners
I'm recovering from ITB syndrome and am now back on the bike after several weeks off. My physio advised me to have a cold bath after riding - ouch! I managed 20 minutes - my body just got used to the cold, but it left me wondering how long I should have stayed in - might I have got the same effect from just 5 minutes? And did I then "undo" the good work by having a warm bath straight afterwards?

In a related question, I'm now sat with an ice pack (ok, a bag of Sainsbury value frozen peas wrapped in a tea towel) over the affected area - how long should I leave it on?

Comments

• kingrollo
    kingrollo Posts: 3,198
    Im suffering from the same thing - and I am thinking of trying the ice bath after tomorrows ride. My understanding is that this prevents sore muscles rather than preventing injury -

what type of exercises you doing ? plenty of hamstring work ?
  • topcattim
    topcattim Posts: 766
    Yup, hamstring stretches:
    extending the dodgy leg, placing the foot on a chair, keeping the other leg stretched, and then bending at the waist towards the toe on the weaker side; can also point the toe up towards me as I do the stretch.
    the other main one is just picking up the foot on the weaker side, standing straight and pulling the heel up to the bum
  • kingrollo
    kingrollo Posts: 3,198
    ouch - I managed 10 minutes in that cold bath . I find that a pre ride massge helps