Do I Have OCD?

brighton-biker
brighton-biker Posts: 31
edited May 2009 in The bottom bracket
I think i am developing OCD with regard to locking up my bike. My system goes like this:

1- Lock bike to immovable object using Kryptonite New York 3000. Also lock front wheel if possible.
2- Trace lock path around bike to ensure it actually does go round the frame and object.
3- Take lights and bag them/check i have no lights left on the bike.
3- Re-trace lock path
4- Re-check that the object is actually immovable.
5- Re-check i have actually removed my lights
6- Re-trace lock path around bike frame and immovable object
7- Re-check i actually fully did up the locking mechanism on the lock
7- Start to walk away, scanning area for people watching me leave my bike
8- Glance back, making sure i haven't locked my bike to something with and end which entire bike and lock could be lifted/slid off of.
9- Carry on walking away for 5 metres
10- Glance back at bike as a final check
11- Carry on walking another 5 metres.
11- If bike still visible, go to step 10. Else end process and feel calm that my bike is safe(ish).

My girlfriend teases me about this all the time - but i just cant stop!

She locks her £30 MTB up with a chain as weak as a length of dental floss.

As we're walking away from our bikes she says "go on - look back - you know you want to!". I do.

BB
Wanna go for a ride? :)

Comments

• teagar
    teagar Posts: 2,100
    If you find yourself doing it with more things, I would go see your doctor. I had a friend who developed OCD and it can be really very horrible if you let it get worse.
    Note: the above post is an opinion and not fact. It might be a lie.
  • System_1
    System_1 Posts: 513
    I do that all the time. I just don't want to lose my bike, it's not really a compulsion. People who don't double check end up getting their bike knicked. David Cameron could do with taking a leaf out of your book.

I had a bit of OCD when I was about 12 years old, but seemed to grow out of it. It was only one thing as well. I couldn't sleep unless the facecloth in the bathroom was perfeclty folded into a rectangle and placed exactly in the middle between the two taps with the soap on the right hand side and the nail brush on the left. If I ever heard mum or dad going to the bathroom while I was in bed I'd get up to check they hadn't moved anything. It's certainly a weird feeling being so compelled by something that really shouldn't have any impact on your life.
  • pottssteve
    pottssteve Posts: 4,069
    Apparently checking is very common. I do it when I'm stressed - usual stuff, car locked, handbrake on, cooker off, front door locked, valuables zipped safely into back jersey pocket etc. It's annoying that I have to do it, but at least I never lose anything!
    Head Hands Heart Lungs Legs
  • I always think that if i don't check, one of these days I'll lock my pride and joy to something silly like a 4 foot post with nothing on top to stop the bike being lifted off! Just read about Cameron...haha! Not funny getting your bike nicked i know...but locking to a 2 foot bollard?

I have been getting slightly "better"/more efficient, forcing myself to only double and not triple check things things when leaving the bike. Seems to be working so far.

I think i should be alright!
    Wanna go for a ride? :)