Going back to the errrm old school? Which bmx did you have?

Anonymous
Anonymous Posts: 79,667
edited May 2009 in MTB general
hey all

start this thread as I hyjacked another (yes I corrected myself and got back to the point in that thread hence this one so no telling me off..lol )

For those who had a BMX in the 80's... which one did you have?

I had a Puch Magnum, it had yellow skyway mags on it (no they didn't get back into shape when placed in the freezer that was bulls***).
Bent the forks hitting the wrong end of a jump....

I should have waited until my dad sold the VW Beetle he was doing up as I could have had an Ultra Burner!

What did you have?

G

Comments

• SpinningJenny
    SpinningJenny Posts: 889
    I wanted one.

My parents insisted on a sensible bike.

I got one of these in turquoise (and yes, I'm a girl and yes, I was disappointed, big style).

0.jpg

Even a Grifter would have been better....

img_0034_lg.jpg
    Ned Flanders: “You were bicycling two abreast?”
    Homer Simpson: “I wish. We were bicycling to a lake.”

Specialized Rockhopper Pro Disc 08
  • Anonymous
    hey what's up with grifters...lol they had gears.... had a silver one,, they were beasts..lol

sorry about that 'sensible' bike though ;)

that's was my grifter. http://www.re-buy-cycle.co.uk/uploads/240/0.jpg

that pic you posted looks real fancy for a grifter...;) nice bike..aaaaaaahhh memoreeees .
  • Steve0843
    Steve0843 Posts: 187
    I puled swissies and endos on a spray painted yellow GT, learnt to bunny hop on a Raleigh Mag Burner and honed my skills on a Haro. Then some gypo stole it and I got a Raleigh Amazon in replacement. The rest is history.
  • Anonymous
    Steve0843 wrote:
    I puled swissies and endos on a spray painted yellow GT, learnt to bunny hop on a Raleigh Mag Burner and honed my skills on a Haro. Then some gypo stole it and I got a Raleigh Amazon in replacement. The rest is history.

I bet he sold it for pegs!...

Mag Burners were ace bikes! totally inadequate padding...ouch!
  • ChrisMidsUK
    ChrisMidsUK Posts: 76
    Never had one, even though my folks knew I wanted one so badly....(sniff)

This is the bike I wanted. 8)

supergoose7x.jpg
    Stumpjumper fsr comp £1,600
    Some cycle clobber £357.26
    A load of stuff to clean and lube with £54.56
    Hydration rucksack £9.95

Watching this clueless buffoon make an ar$e of myself out on the trails. PRICELESS! :D
  • Tim.s
    Tim.s Posts: 515
    Yep, I had a Burner alright. Blue frame with red pads and red mag wheels. Inseparable for many years until I got a Raliegh Mustang.

Quite recently, last year in fact I had the urge to try BMX again! I had always wanted a Mongoose Pro, when I was at school it was THE ONE to have. Found one on ebay in desparate need of repair, bought it and spent weeks fixing it up. Serviced the cranks, headset, wheels and brakes then replaced all the cables. Maiden voyage day arrived and it was crap! Virtually unridable, very unstable and just too heavy.

It went straight back on ebay and sold for a small profit, with that cash in my pocket I found a S/H Haro in my LBS and bought that. Enjoyed it for a while just bombing around town then got bored of it.

People also said I looked like a monkey sh*gging a football because im 6 foot and the wrong side of 30. :D
    "Didn't hurt"
  • finlayson99
    finlayson99 Posts: 213
    Still regularly ride a 1974 Mk2 Chopper and a 1980 Grifter XL to the great amusement of my 2 sprogs.
    SC Heckler
    Chopper Mk2
    Grifter
    Merlin Malt-CR
    Revolution Courier 2
  • Anonymous
    Tim.s wrote:
    People also said I looked like a monkey sh*gging a football because im 6 foot and the wrong side of 30. :D

hahah sorry mate but that last quote am gonna steal and use...lol ace!
  • Anonymous
    Still regularly ride a 1974 Mk2 Chopper and a 1980 Grifter XL to the great amusement of my 2 sprogs.

grifter XL!! man you must be made or iron or something..lol

ace!
  • Anonymous
    Never had one, even though my folks knew I wanted one so badly....(sniff)

yeam man monggeese. or mongoosees,,whatever, were the ONES to have as I remember....

what was th ET one called again that was in all the cinemas?lol

plus that photo you've posted, he looks like he is so good he's even got time to check when he mam wants him back for tea! ;)
  • brother in law still has his 3 raleigh burners from when he was little :lol:
  • Anonymous
    bigbenj_08 wrote:
    brother in law still has his 3 raleigh burners from when he was little :lol:

che che check it out http://www.burnerworld.co.uk/
  • cee
    cee Posts: 4,553
    My first bike was a raleigh boxer....the little brother of the grifter....

then I got a white mag burner in about 1986.....bust my teeth in jumping over a plank/brick ramp arrangement.!

Then I also got a red grifter from an older cousin....man that thing was a tank!
    Whenever I see an adult on a bicycle, I believe in the future of the human race.

H.G. Wells.
  • MeddlE
    MeddlE Posts: 322
    The ET bike was a Kuwahara.

I bought my 80's BMX myself for £35 off a kid at school. Chrome oval tubing, CW Pro bars, blue Z rims.

I still ride BMX and I will be 40 next year.
  • Anonymous
    cee wrote:
    My first bike was a raleigh boxer....the little brother of the grifter....

then I got a white mag burner in about 1986.....bust my teeth in jumping over a plank/brick ramp arrangement.!

Then I also got a red grifter from an older cousin....man that thing was a tank!

i remember those boxers! yellow weren't they? and black?

lol @ plank brick arrangement... we used to lie people down and see how many we could jump...... shortest straw got the end place..pmsl
  • cee
    cee Posts: 4,553
    yip...bright yellow little thing with the big black foam seat that looked like it belonged on a unicycle!

I loved that bike......
    Whenever I see an adult on a bicycle, I believe in the future of the human race.

H.G. Wells.
  • SpinningJenny
    I am so jealous.

Still, my parents have now got what they deserve, through depriving me of my bmx...

A tomboy who lives across the road from a skate park, and who is in lurv with MTBing.

That'll so teach them :D

• Anonymous
    I am so jealous.

Still, my parents have now got what they deserve, through depriving me of my bmx...

A tomboy who lives across the road from a skate park, and who is in lurv with MTBing.

ace! good for you!!!!! :)
  • upinsmoke
    upinsmoke Posts: 278
    When I raced it was a Raleigh Superburner with a few upgrades (crank/chainring). Then I got a Rebel freestyler with orange Skyways. Happy days.
  • Anonymous
    upinsmoke wrote:
    When I raced it was a Raleigh Superburner with a few upgrades (crank/chainring). Then I got a Rebel freestyler with orange Skyways. Happy days.

orange skyways is just showing off.....nice one! :)
  • tbutch
    tbutch Posts: 27
    Raleigh Burner, blue frame, mag wheels and yellow tires.

All I remember is it was wicked at doing skids! so much so my mum and dad insisted i had a 'green' back tyre - made of solid rubber so no chance of getting a puncture. horrible
  • Anonymous
    tbutch wrote:
    Raleigh Burner, blue frame, mag wheels and yellow tires.

All I remember is it was wicked at doing skids! so much so my mum and dad insisted i had a 'green' back tyre - made of solid rubber so no chance of getting a puncture. horrible

hahahahah was that your dad's idea..pmsl
  • ol\'gregg
    ol\'gregg Posts: 612
    My brother and I both had raleigh burners. mine was red and gold his was blue and gold. I remember selling it and the lad that bought it put racer handlebars on it i could've beaten him with a car for doing that. numpty
    gochel chan ddynion i mewn blew beisiau achos hwy cadernid bod eirth
  • Anonymous
    ol\'gregg wrote:
    My brother and I both had raleigh burners. mine was red and gold his was blue and gold. I remember selling it and the lad that bought it put racer handlebars on it i could've beaten him with a car for doing that. numpty

WTF!! racer handle bars?
  • ol\'gregg
    ol\'gregg Posts: 612

WTF!! racer handle bars?

yes you read it correctly. I was not amused that my favourite bike was reduced to some sort of abomination
    gochel chan ddynion i mewn blew beisiau achos hwy cadernid bod eirth
  • Anonymous
    ol\'gregg wrote:

WTF!! racer handle bars?

yes you read it correctly. I was not amused that my favourite bike was reduced to some sort of abomination
    man, that's like putting stunt pegs on a uni-cycle!
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    Never had a BMX in the ´80s was already playing in the dirt on 226" wheels :wink:
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • Sarnian
    Sarnian Posts: 1,451
    I was Into BMX from 8-18 (then MTB took over) I had a few, started off with a Raleigh Burner then a Mongoose California, Amoco 202, Amoco freestyler, Haro freestyler, Skyway TA, there are a couple more I am just trying to remember them.
    It's not a ornament, so ride It
  • SpinningJenny
    GmanUK101 wrote:
    I am so jealous.

ace! good for you!!!!! :)

Why thank you :D

I'm a bit of a late starter - in my (ahem) late 30s. But I don't care! :D

• Anonymous
    Sarnian wrote:
    I was Into BMX from 8-18 (then MTB took over) I had a few, started off with a Raleigh Burner then a Mongoose California, Amoco 202, Amoco freestyler, Haro freestyler, Skyway TA, there are a couple more I am just trying to remember them.

:):)

you've got shares in those bike manu's aint ya?

you say took over, don't you mean obsessively took over... (mean that in a good way)