The cycling industry doesn't help itself...

Chaz.Harding
Chaz.Harding Posts: 3,144
edited May 2009 in The bottom bracket
Was watching the Giro d'Italia, and the Sidi shoe advert comes on T.V...

What a joke. It's bad that most non-cycling folks seem to think that when we dress in lycra, and ride skinny bikes, we are all gay. Then Sidi make an advert of 4 grown men playing 'spin the shoe'... I guess we don't really help ourselves do we... :lol::lol::lol:
Boo-yah mofo
Sick to the power of rad
Fix it 'till it's broke

Comments

• AndyRubio
    AndyRubio Posts: 880
    It's a pretty lame-ass advert for sure, they must be paying sanchez, bertie and their +1 a shedload of cash for that.
  • Ash_
    Ash_ Posts: 385
    I don't know which bit of the advert is worse:

1- The looks of eager-anticipation on their faces as they sit cross legged in a sterile white environment watching a shoe spin round

2- The close up shot of their eyes darting about

3- The dodgy 'victory shot' when the winner of spin-the-SIDI holds the shoe up to their chest.

There are different versions of the ad. with different 'winners'. For me, Contador manages to look the cheesiest.

Now I understand that as Eurosport broadcasts in many different languages to many different cultures, a lot of the adverts are not that sophisticated in order to clearly get a message across to a wide audience. But whoever thought this one up is having a laugh, aren't they?

The tag-line's rubbish as well - "SIDI. Cycling shoes." They're not lying, I supose, but it's strange to think that an ad. agency was probably paid to come up with this.

And can anyone ID the guy in the French champions jersey? The advert's not that new by the way, it was used last year, so could be the French national champion from up to two years ago, but what discipline?
  • Billios
    Billios Posts: 96
    Im pretty sure its Julien Absolom, 4 time world champ in XC, he is sponsored by SIDI. But I may be wrong.
  • mrushton
    mrushton Posts: 5,182
    What about the cheesy razor ad with Woods/Federer and someone else?
    M.Rushton
  • antfly
    antfly Posts: 3,276
    Was watching the Giro d'Italia, and the Sidi shoe advert comes on T.V...

What a joke. It's bad that most non-cycling folks seem to think that when we dress in lycra, and ride skinny bikes, we are all gay. Then Sidi make an advert of 4 grown men playing 'spin the shoe'... I guess we don't really help ourselves do we... :lol::lol::lol:

Speak for yourself,i`ve never played spin the shoe with a load of men.
    Smarter than the average bear.
  • fast as fupp
    fast as fupp Posts: 2,277
    i like it!

sosumi :D
    'dont forget lads, one evertonian is worth twenty kopites'
  • edhornby
    edhornby Posts: 1,780
    mrushton wrote:
    What about the cheesy razor ad with Woods/Federer and someone else?
    Thierry Henry (ex arsenal, now FC Barcelona) - another terrible ad

let's face it, all ads with sports people doing anything other than their speciality is a fail - even the chris hoy 'on yer bike' ad has my toes curling and I like Sir Hoy
    "I get paid to make other people suffer on my wheel, how good is that"
    --Jens Voight
  • CHRISNOIR
    CHRISNOIR Posts: 1,400
    And that's just for shoes; what would the ads for chamois cream be like? :shock:
  • Bhima
    Bhima Posts: 2,145
    Yeah, it's pretty daft innit! :lol:

The music is ridiculous too! :?

It all seems really low-budget!

They should have just filmed some action/climbing/sprinting shots of the shoes if they were on a budget. Would have actually looked good, too!
  • bobpzero
    bobpzero Posts: 1,431
    yep missing the http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_yBjY0rH9s0 Paolo Bettini having to chase of his own "sidi cycling shoes" and then being knockd off screen by a massive sidi logo.
  • Philip S
    Philip S Posts: 398
    Ash_ wrote:
    The advert's not that new by the way, it was used last year, so could be the French national champion from up to two years ago, but what discipline?

Didn't last year's ad feature Paulo Bettini? It had the slightly more surreal feature of Bettini being booted off the screen by a giant Sidi cycling shoe at the end. It certainly beat the current "spin the shoe" ad for laughs.
  • nasahapley
    nasahapley Posts: 717
    edhornby wrote:
    mrushton wrote:
    let's face it, all ads with sports people doing anything other than their speciality is a fail - even the chris hoy 'on yer bike' ad has my toes curling and I like Sir Hoy

Agreed (about ads in general, haven't seen the Chris Hoy one). I vaguely remember seeing a particularly cringeworthy one where a Brazilian footballer (Ronaldinho?) was plugging photocopiers. I hadn't previously been aware of the parallels between football at the very highest level and mundane office equipment, and I'm still not now.
  • Bhima
    nasahapley wrote:
    I hadn't previously been aware of the parallels between football at the very highest level and mundane office equipment, and I'm still not now.

Isn't it obvious? :roll:

:lol:
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    edited May 2009
    Does anyone know what Focus are and where they are made?
  • Bhima
    BIKES MADE IN GERMANY

err.... no, sorry, no idea. :lol:
  • antfly
    The best sportsperson ad is the one where Pele talks about erection problems.Gary Linaker said he turned it down.
  • teagar
    teagar Posts: 2,100
    You're all talking about it, so who wins?

I think they avoid cycling shots too much since they'd focus (pun not intended) on things other than the shoe..

I like it. That cheesy garishness is the same as that in the Tour.
    Note: the above post is an opinion and not fact. It might be a lie.
  • Slow Downcp
    Slow Downcp Posts: 3,041
    But a good advert (for the company paying for the ad) is one that people remember and talk about. Given that many can even remember last years ad, it's done the job for Sidi (even if it is low budget Eurocheese).
    The best thing about the ad is that, whilst Sidi continue to pay Eurosport, it helps keep cycling on TV.
    Carlsberg don't make cycle clothing, but if they did it would probably still not be as good as Assos
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    Heh heh, I do love the cheesy euroness of it to be honest.
  • antfly
    A good advert is one that makes you want to buy the product and increases sales,I would have thought.Only the ad company cares if you talk about the ad or not.