Campagnolo Cabling helo

disgruntledgoat
disgruntledgoat Posts: 8,957
edited May 2009 in Workshop
Having removed the KMC chain... onto the cables.

Last time I put a cable in my rear mech i had it nowhere near tight enough resulting in some bizarre shifting. How do I know i've got it tight enough when I fit it? I take it the barrel adjuster should be turned rightwards to tighten it also.
"In many ways, my story was that of a raging, Christ-like figure who hauled himself off the cross, looked up at the Romans with blood in his eyes and said 'My turn, sock cookers'"

@gietvangent

Comments

• Slow Downcp
    Slow Downcp Posts: 3,041
    Put the rear derailleur and shifter to smallest sprocket, pull cable tight by hand and tighten clamp bolt. Always works for me. Set the barrel about halfway so you can adjust either way if you need to.
    Carlsberg don't make cycle clothing, but if they did it would probably still not be as good as Assos
  • disgruntledgoat
    disgruntledgoat Posts: 8,957
    Do you mean halfway down it's thread?

Apologies for dumb question!
    "In many ways, my story was that of a raging, Christ-like figure who hauled himself off the cross, looked up at the Romans with blood in his eyes and said 'My turn, sock cookers'"

@gietvangent
  • Slow Downcp
    Slow Downcp Posts: 3,041
    Yes, halfway down so that you can tighten or slacken off once the clamp bolts done up
    Carlsberg don't make cycle clothing, but if they did it would probably still not be as good as Assos
  • star_rover
    star_rover Posts: 318
    Turn the barrel adjuster inwards (anti-clockwise) to tighten the cable. Park tools website has a good section on indexing/how to get the right cable tension.
  • Monty Dog
    Monty Dog Posts: 20,614
    Screw all cable adjusters fully in before fitting the cable. Thread the cable through and clamp at the end - now pull the cable firmly away from the frame at one of the exposed runs - it helps to take up the slack and seat the outer - slacken off the cable clamp, take up slack and retighten. Set up the gears as normal.
    Make mine an Italian, with Campagnolo on the side..