Road gear with Thumb shifters?

basti
basti Posts: 2
edited May 2009 in Workshop
Hello Everyone

I am planning to build my own bike (god knows why, no idea how to do it) and would like to mount road gear system (105), but as i will be having a flat handle bar, need to use it with any kind of thumb shifters, is this technically possible? please excuse if silly question!!

It might be a silly plan altogether, but for some reason i am convinced that a road bike set-up would suit my needs better.

thanks
sebastian

Comments

• star_rover
    star_rover Posts: 318
    Yes.
    Shimano R770 10 speed flat bar shifters work well with 105.
  • geoff_ss
    geoff_ss Posts: 1,201
    My road bike has flat bars and I use normal ATB thumb shifters (not sure which ones) and they work perfectly with my 105 system. I have a 44/32/22 chain set and a 9 speed 13/25 cassette but I'm sure it would work with bigger chain rings.

Geoff
    Old cyclists never die; they just fit smaller chainrings ... and pedal faster
  • andrew_s
    andrew_s Posts: 2,511
    MTB and road front cable pulls are different so if there's any indexing your front shifter has to match the mech. You've got to use a specific road shifter or a friction mode if there is one.
    At the rear you can mix and match freely.
  • star_rover
    star_rover Posts: 318
    R770 are road specific shifters, obviously, as 10 speed hasn't reached MTBs yet. There is a r770 front mech to match, but the shifters will work perfectly well with a regular 105 mech.
    More choice in shifters in 9 speed, if you wanted to use tiagra instead of 105.
  • geoff_ss
    geoff_ss Posts: 1,201
    I should have said that my 105 system is a 9 speed one. More than sufficient - I never know what gear I'm in. When I had 5/6 speed blocks I knew every gear in inches :) Love the speed and certainty of the gear shifting now, though.

Geoff
    Old cyclists never die; they just fit smaller chainrings ... and pedal faster