Just bought a torque wrench

Steve_T
Steve_T Posts: 29
edited May 2009 in Workshop
After owning carbon forks and frames for a few years I have finally bought myself a torque wrench (Pro 3 - 15Nm). I am suprised as to how much 5Nm (torque for many carbon things it seems) actually is compared to the torque I have been appling up to now by "guessing" (i.e. not using a torque wrench and being afraid of damaging the carbon bits).

Comments

• jon208
    jon208 Posts: 335
    Yeah, and 50Nm for a cassette lock ring feels like a sh*t load! :oops:
  • Smokin Joe
    Smokin Joe Posts: 2,706
    Using a proper carbon clamp which is supplied with a smaller bolt than used to be the case in the days of aluminium it is impossible to tighten the clamp more than just over 5NM as the thread will strip. I broke two with the torque wrench set to 5.5Nm, still below the manufacturers recommended 6Nm.
  • To confuse matters, I've read (on the Park Tools website I think), that threads being greased would obviously make a difference to the torque you apply to a bolt. Could make quite a bit of difference I suppose?
    Trying my best to do 300 miles a month on and off road.
  • Steve_T
    Steve_T Posts: 29
    Hadn't really thought about the effect of grease. It seem logical that greasing the threads of a clamp bolt could affect the relationship between torque applied to the bolt and the clamping force. I would hope that any variations or uncertainties due to grease would be accounted for when the recommended torque is defined by the manufacturer.

Personally I think that one has to be carefully with all lightweight cycle components, regardless of material. They are all optimalised (i.e. make as weak as possible) to the degree that robustness, particularly the ability to survive abuse, is compromised.
  • crankycrank
    crankycrank Posts: 1,830
    Usually the mfr will state whether the bolts should be greased or not for proper torque readings. If it doesn't state greased then install it ungreased. It's possible with enough experience to develop a feel for just the right amount of torque for bike bits with a plain wrench but it takes some practice.