Shimano Chainset Query

carl_p
carl_p Posts: 989
edited May 2009 in Workshop
I've just bought a very nice Shimano 105 double chainset off Ebay for a oldish steel frame I'm building up. The model no. is FC-1056 which is early 105 from the nineties. I have a couple of issues with it:

- Sheldon Brown refers to it as a 8 speed double chainset. Will it work ok with a 9 speed cassette? What problems could it cause if I run 9 speed?

- My frame requires an Italian threaded BB for a 70mm shell. Again Sheldon Brown states the spindle length needs to be 107mm, but doesn't specify whether this is for British or Italian threaded BB. I would assume the former as a default, so do I need to add an additional 2mm for the wider shell? This would make it 109mm, or 110mm as that is the next size available for the required square tapered BB. If I want to run a 9 speed cassette do I need an even longer spindle?

Would really appreciate any advice.
Specialized Venge S Works
Cannondale Synapse
Enigma Etape
Genesis Flyer Single Speed

Turn the corner, rub my eyes and hope the world will last...

Comments

• carl_p
    carl_p Posts: 989
    Anyone please?
    Specialized Venge S Works
    Cannondale Synapse
    Enigma Etape
    Genesis Flyer Single Speed

Turn the corner, rub my eyes and hope the world will last...
  • RIKO
    RIKO Posts: 559
    You may have isues with an 8 speed chainring and 9 speed chain as the chainring for 8 speed is a little bit thicker which could give you shifting issues.
    I'm unaware of if an italian bb is wider than a british bb but if it states 107mm I would have thought that you would need 107mm regardless of type
  • k-dog
    k-dog Posts: 1,652
    I'm unaware of if an italian bb is wider than a british bb but if it states 107mm I would have thought that you would need 107mm regardless of type

That's correct. It's the spindle length you need to have correct - the other number is just the shell width which is fixed according to your frame and doesn't alter the chainline - just holds the bb in place.

You need a 107mm spindle to give you the correct chainline.

You can get a 107mm italian Shimano square taper bb here for £20 - http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Mode ... elID=17473

The internal measurements of a 9 speed chain are the same as an 8 but the outside is narrower - this means that the chain will fit on the rings fine. Some people think that the chain could get trapped between the rings but it's not narrow enough.

So basically, no problems as long as you get the right BB.
    I'm left handed, if that matters.