Multi release cleats

sparrowlegs78
sparrowlegs78 Posts: 2,583
edited May 2009 in MTB general
I have a pair of SPD's with the normal release cleats in, but i am too scared to use them due to falling off too often with them on.
I am using flatties with skate shoes at the mo and they are doing my head in coz my feet keep sliding off when climbing hard.
How much easier are the multi release cleats to get your feet out of?
I ask as i am still nervous and i need to get my feet down fast sometimes, and i can't with the ordinary cleats, hence the tumbles.
Any help peeps...ta
Caz xxxx

Comments

• Chaz.Harding
    Chaz.Harding Posts: 3,144
    I've had some good success with the Crank Bro's Eggbeaters. Although they are non-adjustable, they are pretty good.

Can you not adjust the release spring tension right the way out (to the loosest setting)?

You might find some knee pads help your confidence too - at least if you fall off, you knees won't get smashed in by some b*stard rock :lol:
    Boo-yah mofo
    Sick to the power of rad
    Fix it 'till it's broke
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    easier and with the tension wound right off too easy at times.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • elPedro666
    elPedro666 Posts: 1,060
    Use the ordinary cleats, but slack off the retention springs on the pedals (one tiny allen bolt on each 'end' as it were) then it'll be much easier to release.

Then just try to get as much practise as you can on soft grass (or similar)!
    WTD:
    Green Halo TwinRail
    25.0mm-26.2mm seatpost shim
    Red X-Lite bling
    Specialized ladies BG saddle (white?) 155mm
    RH thumbie
    700x28c CX tyres&tubs
    Flatbars 620mm 25,4mm & swept, ti in an ideal world
  • sparrowlegs78
    I've got a pair of crank bros candy pedals and they nearly killed me lol ....couldn't get on with those at all..far too tight. made for a spectacular tip off out side my back gate :lol:
    Caz xxx
  • Chaz.Harding
    Ahh well. Worth a try mentioning them at least. As above, slacken the adjuster right off, and tighten it 'till your happy! 8)
    Boo-yah mofo
    Sick to the power of rad
    Fix it 'till it's broke
  • sparrowlegs78
    I've got the tension at the loosest now...i keep trying to get out of them by a sharp pull up...i can't get the hang of the twisting bit.
    Maybe i really am just a blonde in disguise :? :oops: :lol:
    Caz xxx
  • Chaz.Harding
    Haha, you mean in 'panic mode'?

Try some multi release cleats as above, or if you have a spare set of normal ones, you could file them down A LITTLE bit, and very VERY CAREFULLY (it would be easy to take too much off, as they're soft metal so they wear, not the pedals!)
    Boo-yah mofo
    Sick to the power of rad
    Fix it 'till it's broke
  • Effoh
    Effoh Posts: 25
    Caz,

Just bought some multi-release and they are much easier to get out of, either by a slight twist or rolling your foot towards the outside of the pedal. Wore them off-road for 3 hours Saturday and on three occasions where I'd have previously crashed, managed to get foot out in time.

I also have the rlease mechanism on the pedals (Shimano M520s) slackened right off.

HTH.

Rgds,

Colin
  • Mr Wu
    Mr Wu Posts: 1,238
    I've got the tension at the loosest now...i keep trying to get out of them by a sharp pull up...i can't get the hang of the twisting bit.
    Maybe i really am just a blonde in disguise :? :oops: :lol:
    Caz xxx

I fear your problem may be with the sharp pull up, that whole i dea of spds is that you shouldnt be able to do that!

a swift ankle twist should be all it needs, if not slacked your tension.
  • Mr Wu
    Mr Wu Posts: 1,238
    thiniing about it, I have some multi relase cleats you can have for free if i can find them in my ever growning vat of parts. ill have a look tonight.
  • Soul Boy
    Soul Boy Posts: 359
    No shame in running multi releases. I had them for a long time and had no problems with releasing on or off road, and that includes unintentional releasing.

Good technique will allow you to bunny hop etc without pulling your foot out.

Having said that, and being very comfortable with them on, I have recently changed to a pair of Wellgo Mg-1's with a pair of Marzocchi 5-10's. Progressing my hardtail riding to a little more extreme riding, and although I got on with my SPD's in Les arc last year, I think I'll have more fun on the flats. The right pedal/shoe combo will stop your feet coming off and 5-10's do stick like glue.

I still commute with my spd's, but now offroad I think I'm converted.
  • Grimy
    Grimy Posts: 111
    Stick with the flats and try improving your technique. Dont think Iv'e ever slipped off them, Ever. Perhaps your skate shoes are the problem?
  • wyrdhead
    wyrdhead Posts: 6
    Had silmilar experiances with "SPD moments" . It wasn't untl I went over to multi-release cleats that my life improved and the bruises and embarassing crashes reduced. The extra confidance of being able to release by twisting your foot in either direction or even with a good hard (and often panic induced) straight pull has made riding a pleasure again.
    I wouldn't go back to flats now.

Just done the Scottish coast to coast over seriously rough stuff and the cleats held when I wanted and released fast when I needed them to. Didn't bother slacking off the tension either...didn't feel I needed to. I wear skate shoes, too. :wink:
  • FSR Si
    FSR Si Posts: 147
    I hated spd's until i heard about multi release cleats, well worth it and they should restore some confidence in you, they did with me.
    My Rides......91 GT Talera SingleSpeed, 97 Klein pulse race, 2010 Boardman HT Pro
  • dave_hill
    dave_hill Posts: 3,877
    If you have a spare set of normal ones, you could file them down...it would be easy to take too much off, as they're soft metal so they wear, not the pedals

Errrr, no they aren't, they're case hardened. That's why they DON'T wear and they have a tendency to shatter if you bray them hard enough when the screws have rounded off... :roll:

Just get some multi release cleats and start practicing twisting to disengage, it doesn't take much to get it mastered. Plus multis stop you from "spuddy-hopping" - they have a habit of coming disengaged just as you leave the lip of a bump if you do!!!
    Give a home to a retired Greyhound. Tia Greyhound Rescue
    Help for Heroes
    JayPic
  • sparrowlegs78
    I think i'll go and buy meself a pair and do some more practise with them on the turbo bike first lol........less chance of falling off on the turbo :lol:
    Thanks peeps
    Caz xxxxxxxxxx