My first off road tri - sea swim, MTB race, coast run

Surf-Matt
Surf-Matt Posts: 5,952
edited June 2009 in MTB general
Just done the Sprint class of the Endurancelife off road triathlon :

500 sea swim with grim 500m run to the water and then 500m back up a nasty hill(!),
9 mile MTB ride - superb, very technical, lots of stiles, streams, bogs and even a very scary Indiana Jones type rickety bridge!
3.5 mile coast run - rather vicious) and won it - woo hoo!!

Here's an MTB pic at the end of that stage:

P1000429.jpg

Mrs Matt then spotted a local smaller tri (6 mile MTB ride, 4 mile coast run, 2km row - except we only have an inflatable, not a proper row boat) and was 5th overall and the 2nd female - brilliant!

Comments

• supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    You don't even look tired! Nice weather - wish it was like that here, was contemplating building an Ark earlier.

Well done!
  • Surf-Matt
    It was the new Spesh 2D helmet that did it.... :wink::lol:
  • nutter |ˈnətər|
    noun Brit., informal
    -a crazy or eccentric person.
    -Surf-Matt

:lol:
    Nice one mate :)

I can't swim so I don't think i'd do very well lol.
  • Surf-Matt
    The swim was tough - and I was the only one out of 100s without goggles! Very windy and choppy.

P1000413.jpg
  • KernowCB
    KernowCB Posts: 174
    well done mate. i think the 2D gave you a few seconds advantage :wink:
    Whyte 905
  • Torres
    Torres Posts: 1,266
    Well in mate, looks fun!
    How long did all that take?
    What We Achieve In Life, Echoes In Eternity
  • XxxBFGxxX
    XxxBFGxxX Posts: 1,355
    well done chap
  • allthegearnoidea
    allthegearnoidea Posts: 4,077
    top result matt,
    are you going to enter the next class up next time or is the Taste of Victory (never doubted it!:wink:) too good to pass up??! :D

great result for Mrs matt too especially rowing a motor orientated tender!!
    Timmo.
    After all, I am Cornish!
    http://cornwallmtb.kk5.org/
    Cotic Soul, The bike of Legends!:wink: Yes, I Am a bike tart!
    http://www.bikeradar.com/forums/viewtop ... 1#16297481
  • hucking_fell
    hucking_fell Posts: 1,056
    edited May 2009
    Well done.

There's a half Ironman up at Fortwilliam soon if you fancy it :D
    More freerange chicken than Freeride God
    Bighit , 5 , BFe
  • Surf-Matt
    Torres wrote:
    Well in mate, looks fun!
    How long did all that take?

79m 48s - bit hard to compare to anything though partly due to that damn run to and from the sea!
  • Sarnian
    Sarnian Posts: 1,451
    Nice one Matt, I kept saying to myself when I was doing Tri's that I would get around to doing One of these.
    It's not a ornament, so ride It
  • Surf-Matt
    Sarnian - you'd love it - pretty much guaranteed. Like doing all the fun sports in one day!
  • Sarnian
    I will have to look In to It, find a good to make all the travel and expense worth while.
  • tlw1
    tlw1 Posts: 21,996
    well done! Fancy a tri - but not in the sea!
  • Surf-Matt
    Sarnian - I forgot about your slight location issue! Lots had come from a long way away. Impressive dedication.
  • shin0r
    shin0r Posts: 555
    Well done Matt!
  • Sarnian
    Surf-Matt wrote:
    Sarnian - I forgot about your slight location issue! Lots had come from a long way away. Impressive dedication.

I did used try and get away a couple of times a year to do the more interesting tri, but It does get expensive. Looking at trying to get away and do some MTB marathons or something similar as I have not done anything like that.
  • Surf-Matt
    Hey all biking blokes - win yourself an event. Suddenly your wife/partner thinks spending money on your bike is all justified after all.

She's even keen on me/us (we are a similar size so can share bikes) getting a Tricross for Winter training.

Woo hoo!! :lol::lol:
  • soy_sauce
    soy_sauce Posts: 987
    Surf-Matt wrote:
    Hey all biking blokes - win yourself an event. Suddenly your wife/partner thinks spending money on your bike is all justified after all.

She's even keen on me/us (we are a similar size so can share bikes) getting a Tricross for Winter training.

Woo hoo!! :lol::lol:

noted. 8)
    "It is not impossible, its just improbable"

Specialized Rockhopper Pro Disc 08
  • FSR_XC
    FSR_XC Posts: 2,258
    Well done mate.

What with you & Kyle, I think I've got some catching up to do.
    Stumpjumper FSR 09/10 Pro Carbon, Genesis Vapour CX20 ('17)Carbon, Rose Xeon CW3000 '14, Raleigh R50

http://www.visiontrack.com
  • Surf-Matt
    Yes but Mark, it's not about the result, it's about the taking part.

Oh bollox, who am I kidding?!

Trouble is, I'm a bit hooked now...
  • rudedog
    rudedog Posts: 523
    Surf-Matt wrote:
    Just done the Sprint class of the Endurancelife off road triathlon :

500 sea swim with grim 500m run to the water and then 500m back up a nasty hill(!),
    9 mile MTB ride - superb, very technical, lots of stiles, streams, bogs and even a very scary Indiana Jones type rickety bridge!
    3.5 mile coast run - rather vicious) and won it - woo hoo!!

Here's an MTB pic at the end of that stage:

Mrs Matt then spotted a local smaller tri (6 mile MTB ride, 4 mile coast run, 2km row - except we only have an inflatable, not a proper row boat) and was 5th overall and the 2nd female - brilliant!

Well done - completing a tedious and boring man made route like this must have been very diffcult for you. Reducing it all to a bunch of stats and figures too ! you must have hated every minute of it. :P :P :P (of course i'm only pulling your leg after your comments int the trail center thread - this sounded like good fun :D )
  • Surf-Matt
    Now now rude, I know you are having a laugh but...

The sea wasn't man made, nor was a lot of the MTB section (apart from some singletrack) and although the run section had a rough path, the cliff and beach we ran over weren't man made so ner :wink::lol:

It was excellent fun though :D
  • rwalworth
    rwalworth Posts: 176
    well done, you look pretty fresh in that end of stage pic barely out of breath!

R
  • Surf-Matt
    Okay - this is my last post on this - the "official" results are now up. They have to verify the results and it can sometimes mean they change. I was bricking it that they may have had it wrong! Thank feck they stayed the same!

I did the S class Sprint - the guy who was 2nd beat me on the MTB course because I went to "dib" a timer that I didn't need to "dib" - doh doh and doh! We were neck and neck for most of the race - he had the downhill speed, I had the climbing pace. Gained a good 30 yards at the end then stuffed it up - doh again!!

http://www.endurancelife.com/assets/res ... vonv16.htm
  • Surf-Matt
    Pics now up - just gives an idea of the course - MTB section was pretty full on!

http://endurancelife.co.uk/gallery-view ... =Go+%3E%3E
  • rudedog
    rudedog Posts: 523
    some brilliant pics there Mat, thanks for sharing.

The ones of the guys going over the handlebars in that deceptively deep puddlle/pool were quality - nice to see the sheepish grin on one of the guys faces as he got up again :lol:
  • Surf-Matt
    That puddle got loads of people - I got off and ran through it!
  • Surf-Matt
    Flipping eck - medal just arrived. Took over three weeks due to some error.
    Big and gold and shiney though! Cool!
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    rule number one matt.