FSA Gossamer Mega EXO chainset and BB

Steve I
Steve I Posts: 428
edited May 2009 in Workshop
Mine was creaking/clicking so I stripped it and found that the non drive cup was tight, but the drive side cup was loose. Under the drive side cup was a rubber covered metal washer (called a crush washer I think). The rubber looks a bit chewed up. I tried assembling it without the crush washer, but there is side to side play in the spindle so I guess it is necessary. Is it supposed to be renewed each time the cup is removed or will it be ok as it is? Also, the blue bit of rubber has come off both small metal washers which go each side of the spindle. Will these need renewing also?

The reason I ask is because these parts will cost me about £12+ with postage which seems ridiculous for what they are. FSA don't even mention a crush washer in their assembly diagram for this crankset.

Thanks

Comments

• Steve I
    Any takers? I really just need to know if it's necessary to replace the crush washer whenever the bearing cup is removed.
  • topdude
    topdude Posts: 1,557
    Hi, i suggest you just re-use the washers, i doubt it could cause any problem. Just make sure the bearing cups are done up really tight and the bolts on the left crank are at the correct torque and checked occasionally :D
    He is not the messiah, he is a very naughty boy !!
  • Steve I
    Thanks Top Dude. After my last post I tried reassembling it reusing the old parts, but it's not possible to elimate either slack or binding. I think I need new o rings and crush washer.

Ive had a think about this and I'm not throwing good money after bad. I can get a Sora triple from Ribble for £35. Even lowly Sora has got to be an improvment on this f*^%"ing piece of sh1te. Why on Earth a chainset should need silly little fragile rubber coated washers to function is beyond me. I'm going to take great pleasure in sawing it in half to see what the hollow section looks like. :x
  • topdude
    topdude Posts: 1,557
    Sounds like your relationship with your FSA chainset is coming to an end :wink:

You might want to consider selling it here or on E**y before resorting to violence :D
    He is not the messiah, he is a very naughty boy !!
  • Steve I
    It did cross my mind to sell it, but it's hardly worth the effort. It's worth about as much as a bag of chips. Besides, I wouldn't want anyone else to be afflicted with this item.
  • Steve I
    Update - Having a bit of a re-think, I sent an email to FSA complaining of the high price of these washers and they very kindly sent me some free of charge. I ordered a Shimano Tiagra set of external bearings. However, despite reading loads of Google results that FSA and Shimano are interchangeable, the spindle on my cranks was slightly too big to go easily into the bearings. I needed a lump hammer and block of wood to persuade them to get on with each other. I had to give a few reasonably heavy blows with the weighty hammer to get the spindle to seat. This may have been detrimental to the bearings so I consider this a bit of a botch for now.

Surprisingly enough, the left arm went on with no play and the cranks are spinning reasonably freely, but it remains to be seen how long the bearings will last after this heavy treatment. So there you have it: in my limited experience, FSA and Shimano external bearing systems are not compatible unless it's normal to have to belt the spindle into the bearings. I suspect it's not as the cranks went easily in and out of the FSA bearings with hand pressure.
  • kafkathedog
    kafkathedog Posts: 242
    I've got the same problem, was just looking round for parts.

Get a click or creak everytime drive side crank goes to 1 o clock position but only under load (up hills or hard on the flat) Completely silent spinning with no load.
    Was thinking it was a bearing gone but maybe its the crush washer too.

If you don't want need those spare parts I'll send you a few quid for them
  • kafkathedog
    Oh and my bb and chainset have done no more than 1800 miles - not very impressed
  • Steve I
    Sorry mate, the washers have been fitted to my bike. With regards to your click, maybe one of your bearing cups is loose like mine. I could have just tightened mine and probably cured the problem, but the bearings were grating a bit and I decided to renew them while I had it stripped down. I actually managed to get 4600 miles out of the FSA bearings, which by all accounts is very good. It's on its final warning now, any more problems and I'm replacing it with a Tiagra.
  • kafkathedog
    I have tried to tighten cup, no effect

If i tighten the non drive side adjusting cap it just makes it worse.

Thanks