All Mountain Bike Weights

Hair Trigger
Hair Trigger Posts: 24
edited May 2009 in MTB general
Hi people,

I know manufacturers are continuously shaving weight of their models each year but when looking for a medium travel (140mm) 'All Mountain' bike what would be considered the average weight for this category?

Thanks in advance

T

Comments

• clarkson
    clarkson Posts: 1,641
    my enduro weighs 34.5lbs. this is considered overweight. by a lot. i think about 30/31lbs is considered acceptable. dont forget though as general rule, heavier frame usually means stronger...
    I said hit the brakes not the tree!!

2006 Specialized Enduro Expert
    http://www.pinkbike.com/photo/3192886/

2008 Custom Merlin Malt 4
    http://www.pinkbike.com/photo/2962222/

2008 GT Avalanche Expert
    http://www.pinkbike.com/photo/3453980/
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    all depends on budget.

my enduro is about 30lbs and feels like an xc bike (in a good way) i would say 32 is acceptable, much less = expensive or weak.

as mentioned already, the focus should really be on strength as opposed to lightweight, lightweight is what trail bikes are for.
  • Andy B
    Andy B Posts: 8,115
    My Orange 5 Pro weighs in @ 28lbs & is tough as old boots.

It can take plenty of abuse and a few airmiles as well & still feels like it's not at it's limits

cost £1400 as an ex demo direct from Orange, full RRP = £2800
    2385861000_d125abe796_m.jpg
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    I built a 140mm Saracen a couple of years ago that weighed 33lbs for 300 quid. I would say for an off the peg build, to hit 30lbs, are looking at 1500.

But as above, travel - strength - weight and how you ride will crunch those numbers, more travel does not always mean more strength or performance.

As in some other threads I have commented on how I think travel will decrease for mainstream bikes, shorter travel HTs with sturdy components and I think the same for FS - 100mm out back, rising rate travel. Basically a nippy bike with a bit of give.
  • I think anything much over 30lbs becomes hard work on the climbs after a couple of hours!
  • Raymondavalon
    Raymondavalon Posts: 5,346
    clarkson wrote:
    my enduro weighs 34.5lbs. this is considered overweight. by a lot. i think about 30/31lbs is considered acceptable. dont forget though as general rule, heavier frame usually means stronger...

My 140mm AM Felt Compulsion weighs 34.7Lbs with the CB Joplin seatpost. It's a solid bike as all mountain spec bikes have to be and the extra weight is there for that very reason.

To achieve the "acceptable" weight of 30/31Lbs on a 140mm all mountain spec you are looking at a carbon framed bike
  • Airienteer
    Airienteer Posts: 695
    My Commie comes in a shade under 30lb. Probably a bit heavier than its competition (Orange, Lapierre..etc) but I like the knowledge that it can take a hell of a beating.
  • Andy B
    To achieve the "acceptable" weight of 30/31Lbs on a 140mm all mountain spec you are looking at a carbon framed bike
    Andy_B wrote:
    last time I checked the only carbon on my 5 was the bars & headset spacers.
  • stevebrock
    stevebrock Posts: 239
    edited May 2009
    Andy_B wrote:
    Andy_B wrote:
    last time I checked the only carbon on my 5 was the bars & headset spacers.

What scales are you using? Thats seems incredibly light!

My Heckler frame is 6.4lbs and comes in at over 31lb

Don't know what the obsession is with all this weight-shaving!

My Heckler is built nice and burly (DT 5.1 Rims, Coil Pikes, SLX Double Bash, X9 transmission, Thomson Stem & Post)

Climbs amazingly well on Pro Pedal and descends with authority.
  • Anonymous
    my enduro is easily 30 lbs, probably less but is alu and has 150mm at the back and 160mm at the front.

i would definately expect 140mm bikes to weigh less.
  • Andy B
    stevebrock wrote:
    Andy_B wrote:
    What scales are you using? Thats seems incredibly light!
    the digital ones at work
    My Heckler frame is 6.4lbs and comes in at over 31lb
    Orange 5 frame & shock is 6.6lbs, but with lighter forks & wheels/tyres then your Heckler
    not obsessed with weight saving, it's almost in standard spec, only changes are tyres & cassette
    My Heckler is built nice and burly (DT 5.1 Rims, Coil Pikes, SLX Double Bash, X9 transmission, Thomson Stem & Post)
    the 5, as you know from the last ride @ Dalby is built well enough for me to give it some $hit & still come back for more!
  • Raymondavalon
    Raymondavalon Posts: 5,346
    stevebrock wrote:

It's like managing a super model, the skinnier she is, the more credibility she will have and perhaps the sexier she will be in the eye of the beholder. Hey guys, I ride a coathanger!

To be honest, I couldn't be @rsed building a bike from components that can be weighed on a cocaine scale and cost more per gram than the said narcotic itself..
  • stevebrock
    edited May 2009
    javascript:emoticon(':D')
  • stevebrock
    the 5, as you know from the last ride @ Dalby is built well enough for me to give it some $hit & still come back for more!

LOL except for a SRAM X9 rear mech!!!

All in jest Andy!
  • Andy B
    :lol:

..the exploding rear mech...

got a spare one now, just in case :wink:
  • stevebrock
    X9?

i need jockey wheels.......judging by the price of 'em may as well buy another mech form Merlin!
  • Andy B
    Yup 2nd hand one £20 delivered although it has a slight bend to the inner cage, which I will straighten out.
  • stevebrock wrote:

It's like managing a super model, the skinnier she is, the more credibility she will have and perhaps the sexier she will be in the eye of the beholder. Hey guys, I ride a coathanger!

To be honest, I couldn't be @rsed building a bike from components that can be weighed on a cocaine scale and cost more per gram than the said narcotic itself..

Ha ha !!!! :lol:
  • realnumber 1
    realnumber 1 Posts: 675
    Mine comes in at a touch over 28lb which I'm more than happy with 8) .
  • SDK2007
    SDK2007 Posts: 782
    My large Carbon Enduro SL (6" Travel) now weighs 27.2lbs.

A decent All Mountain Bike should weigh under 30lbs
  • Thanks People,

I currently have a 2008 Felt Compulsion 1 and its stated weight is 30.2lbs - great bike and rides very well but wonder if I lightened it (there's plenty of scope to do so), say by a pound or two, whether I'd actually notice the difference on the trails?

T
  • SDK2007
    SDK2007 Posts: 782
    If your wheels are heavy then it's worth changing those first.
  • Anonymous
    tyres would be first port of call, what have you got fitted alredy?
  • XT wheel set - but my question is, if I changed some items and actually managed to lighten the overall bike by a pound or two would I really notice the diffence?

T
  • zero303
    zero303 Posts: 1,162
    Five with 15QR 32 Vanillas comes in at 30lb if I put sensible rubber on although for all day but less hardcore rides or marathons I can get it down to 29lb with some faster tyres.
  • Anonymous
    XT wheel set - but my question is, if I changed some items and actually managed to lighten the overall bike by a pound or two would I really notice the diffence?

T

probably not is the honest truth. if you save weight from the wheels and tyres it would accelerate faster and the bike would change direction easier but from elsewhere, it wouldnt be so noticeable.
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
  • Kiwi Kranker
    Kiwi Kranker Posts: 416
    My Carbon Ransom 10 just weighed in at 30lbs (When will you guys convert to the metric system for the love of god!! :? )

160mm front and rear and its an old design so definitely sub 30 seems to be a reasonable guess for a modern 140mm bike
    Scott Ransom 10

Stumpy FSR Comp

Wilier Izoard

1994 Shogun Prairie Breaker Expert...ahhh yesssss

'I didnt need those front teeth anyway..'
  • M6TTF
    M6TTF Posts: 602
    The orange 5 isn't an all mountain bike, it's a trail bike, granted it's a very capable one mind :)
  • grantway
    grantway Posts: 1,430
    I have the 2008 Orange 5 AM weighs in at 29 and half pounds.

Hello M6TTF The Orange 5 is All Mountain frame too