when mountain biking makes sense (4* jealousy factor)

counterculture
counterculture Posts: 507
edited May 2009 in MTB general
myself and my mate headed up to Glencoe to do the Devils Staircase, it was a steep push up, you'd need to be pretty hardcore/insane to cycle up, i wasnt, followed by 7-ish miles of fairly technical descent (maybe red grade with a few cheeky black sections) into Kinlochleven, quick pint then 10 miles by road back to the car park, via The Clachaig pubfor another pint and some nachos, took a few hours at a decent pace, could have done it quicker but the weather was too good to rush it.

(apologies for the size of the photos i dont know how to resize them)

view from the drive in
DSCI0184.jpg

the view from the camp ground, beside the kinghouse (buachaille etive mor)
DSCI0189.jpg

the top of the devils staircase
DSCI0190.jpg
DSCI0191.jpg
DSCI0192.jpg
DSCI0193.jpg
DSCI0199.jpg

the view from the car park, The Lost Valley
DSCI0200.jpg

another view from the car park
DSCI0201.jpg

yes folks, that is sunshine, its not seen very often in Scotland, but here is proof it makes the odd appearance.

This was one of those days when everything you love about mountain biking is confirmed.
i spent all me money on whisky and beer!!!

Comments

• .blitz
    .blitz Posts: 6,197
    Great stuff. I walked the Buckle, Bidean Nam Bian and the Aonach Eagach a few years ago.
  • Ha ha ha, don't know why we'd be jealous...London's great for biking, much prettier with better mountains!

Oh, hang on... :shock:

Looks brilliant!
  • grumsta
    grumsta Posts: 994
    Looks fantastic, its on my must do list.

BTW I climbed most of that snowy peak in the middle of your car park pic (Stob Coire Nan Lochan) in January, we had to turn back cos my gf got a bit freaked out by the lack of visibility (and snow and ice).

The lost valley walk is lovely as well, I love Glencoe.
  • llamafarmer
    llamafarmer Posts: 1,893
    Stunning! I really must visit Scotland!
  • elPedro666
    elPedro666 Posts: 1,060
    Glen Coe is amazing - great pics, thanks!
    WTD:
    Green Halo TwinRail
    25.0mm-26.2mm seatpost shim
    Red X-Lite bling
    Specialized ladies BG saddle (white?) 155mm
    RH thumbie
    700x28c CX tyres&tubs
    Flatbars 620mm 25,4mm & swept, ti in an ideal world
  • Northwind
    Northwind Posts: 14,675
    Awesome pics... Never ridden up there without a road and an engine but it's pretty fantastic even from the bottom of the mountain, must try and get up there some day myself. Probably too feeble though :lol:
    Uncompromising extremist
  • jairaj
    jairaj Posts: 3,009
    WOW thats an amazing view! Its like a different planet compared to the concrete jungle of london outskirts.

Its always a great feeling when Im out and about in my small local woods but riding around in that environment must be awesome!
  • Chaz.Harding
    Chaz.Harding Posts: 3,144
    Yup. I'm pretty damn jealous!!

:lol:
    Boo-yah mofo
    Sick to the power of rad
    Fix it 'till it's broke
  • lm_trek
    lm_trek Posts: 1,470
    That does look great, im going to ask a daft question now, is there a freely available map of the route or guides for the area?? im biking that way in the summer would love to give it ago!
  • GMARS70970
    GMARS70970 Posts: 71
    I walked the west highland way some years ago & the devils staircase is part of the route. Have you ridden any more of the route? Its look great in the pics. Need to give it a try this year.
  • ordnance survey should sort you out with maps, google the lost valley too and it gives you a site with maps of glencoe and surrounding areas and walks.
    i spent all me money on whisky and beer!!!
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    respect!!!! nice one!

G

hope ya had a nice dram at the end mate....buzzing!
  • zero303
    zero303 Posts: 1,162
    Jesus, I gotta get myself up there!

Been watching STW's Snowdon video too - I need to ride a real mountain!!
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    zero303 wrote:
    Jesus, I gotta get myself up there!

Been watching STW's Snowdon video too - I need to ride a real mountain!!

mate, get the bikes hooked up, drive up, and take a long weekend....some brilliant stuff up here. rains a lot though so be prepared..lol
  • Looks great, I remember walking that bit of the West Highland Way and thinking 'this would be awesome on a bike' (not the climb, obviously). Do you just follow the WHW or are there other trails?
    lm_trek wrote:
    That does look great, im going to ask a daft question now, is there a freely available map of the route or guides for the area?? im biking that way in the summer would love to give it ago!

I know that Bikebus do a trip there every so often (Google Bikebus Glasgow, it should come up), but you'd have to pay a bit, as they ferry you from Glasgow to the destination as well.
  • myopic
    myopic Posts: 692
    Great pics, counterculture! One of my favourite areas, but I've only walked there, never cycled it.
    You don't need eyes to see, you need vision