Braze On's

weescottie
weescottie Posts: 11
edited May 2009 in Road beginners
Hi!
I keep reading about "Braze Ons" but in any manuals I read I have not managed to find this term.
Could someone explain please!?
Thanks

Comments

• nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    it is used to identify the front mechs that attach to the frame via a bolt onto a "brazed" on bracket rather than using a band fitting clamp.

you can get adapters to allow a braze on mech to be attached to a frame with out a braze on mount.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • alfablue
    alfablue Posts: 8,497
    This usually refers to frame fittings such rack mounts, dynamo mounts etc which are brazed on to a frame or forks (usually steel frames of the touring variety).
    Brazing is a joining process whereby a filler metal or alloy is heated to melting temperature above 450 °C (840 °F)—or, by the traditional definition in the United States, above 800 °F (427 °C)—and distributed between two or more close-fitting parts by capillary action. At its liquid temperature, the molten filler metal and flux interacts with a thin layer of the base metal, cooling to form a strong, sealed joint. By definition the melting temperature of the braze alloy is lower (sometimes substantially) than the melting temperature of the materials being joined. The brazed joint becomes a sandwich of different layers, each metallurgically linked to the adjacent layers.
  • RedJohn
    RedJohn Posts: 272
    The term comes from when bikes were made of steel and joined by a technique called Brazing. The various additions, eg bottle cage bosses, gear lever bosses, cantilever brake bosses - etc etc etc - were fixed on in the same way, so were referred to as "braze-ons".

Even though brazing is now only rarely used (modern steel frames are usually welded now), the term "braze-ons" is still often used for all those wee extra bits fixed on the frame.
  • dennisn
    dennisn Posts: 10,601
    RedJohn wrote:
    The term comes from when bikes were made of steel and joined by a technique called Brazing.

Even though brazing is now only rarely......

Thanks for making me feel about 80 years old. :wink::wink:

Dennis Noward