SRAM X.0 Rear Mech

hondafanatic
hondafanatic Posts: 213
edited May 2009 in MTB general
Jesus Christ! how much?!

Sorry about the randomness of this post, but feck me, £180 for a rear mech.

I've just bought a bike that's spec'd with the X.0 and thought I'd see how much the obvious bit that wear will cost to replace.

Nearly £200 on a rear mech!!!!

I think i'll just hang the bike on the wall and look at as a piece of art...

And breathe........

Someone pass me a paper bag, I'm starting to hyper ventilate....
<insert witty comment here>

Also, I have calculated my FCN as 12...although I have no idea what that actually means.

Comments

• Tim.s
    Tim.s Posts: 515
    Wait till you see how much the carbon cages are alone :shock: and they snap like twigs!

Enjoy it while it lasts then replace it with an X9
    "Didn't hurt"
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    mm i have 2 ( not this years) the cages have held up fine on the DH bike.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • Tim.s
    Tim.s Posts: 515
    Fine until you crash or knock them in the van or look at them funny. :wink:

Carbon just dosnt bend as well as alu!
    "Didn't hurt"
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    i have one on my enduro, tis a lovely thing to behold but i bet i wouldnt feel the difference in a blind taste test with a "lower" spec version.
  • FSR_XC
    FSR_XC Posts: 2,258
    I know 2 people that have broke them (without too much force) and both replaced 'em with X9.

If it's any consolation, the mech hanger might actually be softer - mate broke his today. The X0 mech looks OK though.
    Stumpjumper FSR 09/10 Pro Carbon, Genesis Vapour CX20 ('17)Carbon, Rose Xeon CW3000 '14, Raleigh R50

http://www.visiontrack.com
  • Prowlus
    Prowlus Posts: 539
    Where are you comming up with £180? According to Evans, they retail for at least £144 maximum

http://www.evanscycles.com/products/sra ... r-ec008699

Unless of course theres the 2010 version available. Right now i'm skirting around the idea of the X0 wondering if i should take the plunge next month or wait till the 2010 models come out
  • Chaz.Harding
    Chaz.Harding Posts: 3,144
    Wait untill 2010 series come out, then bag some bargains!!
    Boo-yah mofo
    Sick to the power of rad
    Fix it 'till it's broke
  • Chaz.Harding
    (for the 2009 gear)
    Boo-yah mofo
    Sick to the power of rad
    Fix it 'till it's broke
  • Chaz.Harding
    (for the 2009 gear)
    Boo-yah mofo
    Sick to the power of rad
    Fix it 'till it's broke
  • Chaz.Harding
    (for the 2009 gear)
    Boo-yah mofo
    Sick to the power of rad
    Fix it 'till it's broke
  • Have a rear mech X-O on my Boardman & Yeti and have bounced off rocks on both without mishap.

Touching wood as I type, :?
  • lesz42
    lesz42 Posts: 690
    shimano Alivo ftw!
    Giant Trance X0 (08) Reverb, Hope Hoops 5.1D, XT brakes, RQ BC, Works Components headset 1.5
  • Right so we have established by this post,that it's all a matter of luckif you break the mech and that there is nothing wrong with it (apart from the cage might be a little bit weaker than an alu one).
    Ribble Gran Fondo
    Focus Black Hills
    Raleigh Chopper
  • hondafanatic
    hondafanatic Posts: 213
    Right so we have established by this post,that it's all a matter of luckif you break the mech and that there is nothing wrong with it (apart from the cage might be a little bit weaker than an alu one).

and it's expensive.
    <insert witty comment here>

Also, I have calculated my FCN as 12...although I have no idea what that actually means.
  • BlackSpur
    BlackSpur Posts: 4,228
    "Melancholy is incompatible with bicycling." ~James E. Starrs
  • Kiblams
    Kiblams Posts: 2,423
    BlackSpur wrote:
    180 quid is nothing

Can I have £180 please? I accept checks and Paypal.

:wink:
  • JK in the UK
    JK in the UK Posts: 132
    That is single handedly the most pointless overpriced unnecessary bit of gorgeous engineering I've ever seen in my life! I cannot even believe stuff like that exists. Gobsmacked.

Good find but christ you'd have to be THE biggest idiot to spend £800 and justify it by saying it saves 46g over the competition. The mind boggles, but at least its providing jobs I guess. In saying that I'd be pretty nervous right now if I was employed by Lightweight.
  • Chaz.Harding
    BlackSpur wrote:

Not really surprising from the guys who also sell a £3500 pair of wheels, £85 for a pair of skewers, and £40 for brake pads...

Pricey.

Oh, and I can't find a price for the bike frame they produce... I expect it aint' cheap tho!!
    Boo-yah mofo
    Sick to the power of rad
    Fix it 'till it's broke
  • Chaz.Harding
    That is single handedly the most pointless overpriced unnecessary bit of gorgeous engineering I've ever seen in my life! I cannot even believe stuff like that exists. Gobsmacked.

Good find but christ you'd have to be THE biggest idiot to spend £800 and justify it by saying it saves 46g over the competition. The mind boggles, but at least its providing jobs I guess. In saying that I'd be pretty nervous right now if I was employed by Lightweight.

You say that, but a pro road rider (please don't stone me!! :lol: ) bought a set of lightweight wheels. Not a biggie really, but out of his own money. He isn't sponsored by Lightweight, and has another wheel sponsor. He got fined £40,000 from his team for using them!! So they must be an amazing wheelset for £43,000!!!

Oh, and if I've got the details wrong, sorry! I'm sure there will be someone to correct me!
    Boo-yah mofo
    Sick to the power of rad
    Fix it 'till it's broke
  • projectsome
    projectsome Posts: 4,478
    what does a bike with lightweight components do then?
    FARKBOOK TWATTER Happiness is my fucking mood!