Alligator i-link brake cable question

mhuk
mhuk Posts: 327
edited December 2009 in Workshop
The instructions for the Alligator I-link brake cables are a bit sketchy and there's nothing on their website: does the aluminium cable outer need to go all the way into the brake lever (and under the handlebar tape) or does it "end" at the edge of the handlebar tape (the handlebar stem end)? Hope that makes sense.

My brake levers are Dura Ace.

Also does it make any difference if the rear brake cable has the aluminium outer along it's complete length or if the middle section (along the frame downtube) is "bare" or just in the silcon sleeve?

Comments

• Monty Dog
    Monty Dog Posts: 20,614
    You could run a length of normal outer cable under the tape, but it means not having a continuous run of inner sleeving - another option would be to use a Gore or Goodrich outer which use a separate liner - however, I run mine all the way to the levers
    Make mine an Italian, with Campagnolo on the side..
  • mhuk
    In the end that's what I did as it seemed the only way to get any tension in the links but it's always nice to have a better idea before starting :)

Onto the gear cables next...
  • do you have to order 2 set of the cables? one for the brakes and one for shifters? and my bike has internal brake routing, how would that work?
  • mhuk
    They do a brake kit and a gear kit. They have different plastic bits and I think they might be different lengths as well.
  • Monty Dog
    Monty Dog Posts: 20,614
    For internal routing, you should only need to run the liner the full length and then run the links for the exposed sections - there should be stops either end of the frame against which cable outer rests.
    Make mine an Italian, with Campagnolo on the side..