Mismatched fr & rear brakes - anyone do it ?

robinta
robinta Posts: 211
edited May 2009 in MTB general
I've mentioned on here before the mushy lever on my rear juicy 5 brake. I've pretty much had enough now and have a perfectly good set of stroker rydes i can put on. As the front brake works fine i was thinking of just swapping the rear (at the moment its like 2 different brake systems anyway) Apart from looking a bit odd on the bars i cant see any problems. Anyone else use different brakes front and rear ?

Comments

• jrich
    jrich Posts: 278
    Yep, i've got a Hope moto V2 on the front of my glory with a 8" rotor and a Hope M4 on the back with a 7" rotor.

It means I've got power up front and light weight on the back.
  • XxxBFGxxX
    XxxBFGxxX Posts: 1,355
    thats similar to what i am thinking of doing
  • Chaz.Harding
    Chaz.Harding Posts: 3,144
    Yup, no problem. It's 2 separate systems - IE, they have individual fluid resevoirs.

Although, it makes economic sense to have the same system F&R - pads, oil, seals, spares, rotors etc.

Altho, if it's an impromtu 'bodge', then why not!!
    Boo-yah mofo
    Sick to the power of rad
    Fix it 'till it's broke
  • Higs
    Higs Posts: 105
    I've got one bike with a Juicy3 on the front and an XT V on the back.

When I'm riding I don't notict things like different levers etc - I just grab them and the bike stops.
    Higs
  • BorisSpencer
    BorisSpencer Posts: 786
    My winter hack/summer commute has a Julie hydro on the front and a Tektro cable on the back. Simply what available when I built it up.
    Northwind wrote: It's like I covered it in superglue and rode it through ebay.
  • Slo rider
    Slo rider Posts: 45
    Yeah, I have oro k18 front and xt m765 rear on the FS. Works great.

Only problem is the shimano keeps reminding me how awkward the oro is, although the power and heat resistance are great, the lever is horrid and the modulation and feel just aren't a patch on the xt. Formula make decent brakes, but where the levers are concerned they need a lesson on ergonomics. The only trouble with the XT was power, now shimano have addressed that...
  • elPedro666
    elPedro666 Posts: 1,060
    I was about to put an M4 on front with my old V on the back, but my new forks haven't turned up :evil: :evil: :evil:
    Very very very not happy after staying in all sunny day.

Was a bit concerned but sounds like it should be ok...

Have a 203mm rotor though, which seems overkill, anyone agree I should be looking for a 160mm, especially considering the V out back?

Will be doing 'General XC' - make of that what you will! :wink:
    WTD:
    Green Halo TwinRail
    25.0mm-26.2mm seatpost shim
    Red X-Lite bling
    Specialized ladies BG saddle (white?) 155mm
    RH thumbie
    700x28c CX tyres&tubs
    Flatbars 620mm 25,4mm & swept, ti in an ideal world
  • Richielaa
    Richielaa Posts: 4
    I used to run a Hope M4 on the front of my Long travel hardtail with a Hayes El Camiro on the rear. They both felt very different in terms of power and modulation and in the end I decided to put a El Camino on the front too. The Hope just never seemed to match the performance as the rear. I'm much more happier now with the set of Hayes
  • Slo rider
    El pedro,
    Don't worry about the v-brake, only the front braking.
    If you find 203mm overkill, then go down to 180mm. I wouldn't bother going 160 upfront unless you weigh about 7 stone, the advantages of a 180 far outweigh the paltry unnoticable weight saving of going 160, even if you'd manage with 160, you're better with the reserve of power and modulation for emergencies with 180 than being out of brake with 160.
    In the dry, if the v is set up well it will be quite a match power wise with the disc upfront, its only in the wet you'll suffer, but then thats when the extra upfront will come in handy, grip allowing!
  • Chaz.Harding
    Chaz.Harding Posts: 3,144
    Slo rider, the larger rotor you use, the less modulation you have - the brake becomes more 'grabby'

:wink:
    Boo-yah mofo
    Sick to the power of rad
    Fix it 'till it's broke
  • elPedro666
    elPedro666 Posts: 1,060
    I just wish the flinkin' thing would show up! Along with my new forks. Damn Parcel Farce! :evil:
    WTD:
    Green Halo TwinRail
    25.0mm-26.2mm seatpost shim
    Red X-Lite bling
    Specialized ladies BG saddle (white?) 155mm
    RH thumbie
    700x28c CX tyres&tubs
    Flatbars 620mm 25,4mm & swept, ti in an ideal world
  • hondafanatic
    hondafanatic Posts: 213
    My missus runs XTR disc at the fron and XTR V-Brake at the back and she has no problems, kinda looks cool actually... dunno why, but then she rides a Zaskar LE from 1996...
    <insert witty comment here>

Also, I have calculated my FCN as 12...although I have no idea what that actually means.
  • Slo rider
    I should have worded it different, you get better modulation with a bigger rotor, yes it can be a bit more grabby at low speeds, but once traveling the modualtion can be excessive with a small rotor as more input is needed at the lever which is less intuitive, which can mean fine control can be a bit longwinded making you concentrate on the brakes rather than what you are doing.
  • Kiblams
    Kiblams Posts: 2,423
    I have an Avid BB5 on the front of my bike with some crappy tektro V-brake on the back, More than enough for what I do and stops me dead with only a 160 rotor on the front and I am not the lightest of riders.

I do occasionaly notice the difference with feedback from the levers, but only at slow speeds and I am not realy bothered by that.
  • Bungalow Bill
    Bungalow Bill Posts: 643
    I have Avid Carbons across the board now, but I did have Carbon Front and a 5 on the rear. With a 5 and 3 on my other bike. Not sure if that counts as a mismatch but just thought I'd add my bit in lol
    I use all 9 inches.

Sabrina