sidi shoes & grip

NWLondoner
NWLondoner Posts: 2,047
edited May 2009 in Road buying advice
i have read that sidi shoes offer more grip over other brands when walking in them. Would this be a correct assumption?

Comments

• James_London
    James_London Posts: 530
    Do you mean the road or MTB versions?

MTB versions are fine but I wouldn't want to be walking much in any road shoe. Depends which cleats you are using but with Look Keos it's best to use the cleat covers for any extended walking. A buddy who uses Speedplays puts his cleat covers on as soon as he's off the bike.
  • NWLondoner
    I meant road shoes. I know you are not meant to walk any distance but I have to get down approx 30 concrete stairs to and from my flat. Also would be helpful if using a train as part of a ride.
  • LardLover
    LardLover Posts: 676
    I use Sidi's and have to walk from my bike locker, through CLEAN :wink: polished hopsital corridors. I think the little rubber bungs on the heels help (and they're replaceable), and now that I've replaced my Keo cleats with some new ones (with rubber bits on the edges) I have no problem. However, I did nearly take a spill trying to get down the stairs (2 floors) - could have been my old cleats :shock: so now take it easy and make sure I walk down stairs on the heels only. Or take them off till I reach the outside door :roll:

As for offering more grip? Mmm, I think it's the cleats that'll decide that. Why not just walk down the stairs in your socks then put them on when you're ready to go outside?
  • NWLondoner
    If you knew what is usually on those stairs you would not have suggested that. :shock:
  • fast as fupp
    fast as fupp Posts: 2,277
    NWLondoner wrote:
    I meant road shoes. I know you are not meant to walk any distance but I have to get down approx 30 concrete stairs to and from my flat. Also would be helpful if using a train as part of a ride.

seriously- you will risk serious injury or death if you try that in cleats carrying a bike

do it in your socks
    'dont forget lads, one evertonian is worth twenty kopites'
  • crankycrank
    crankycrank Posts: 1,830
    I don't think Sidi's are better than most other shoes for grip but as stated above it mostly depends on your cleat. Having some grippy material on the heels and toe helps some but you'll still slide on the cleat area when walking. You can get rubber cleat covers for most of the different brands which as far as I know is about the best way to gain some traction from road shoes. I wear Sidi's and Speedplay and almost took a swan dive into a public toilet after slipping on the smooth floor in my bare cleats. Yucko.
  • NWLondoner
    I will be using speedplay zeros and will use the coffee cup covers
  • mpd62
    mpd62 Posts: 71
    just renewed my keo cleats and the new ones have rubber pads on which with the sidi heel caps are the best grip I have had, still a pain to walk in though!.
  • turnerjohn
    turnerjohn Posts: 1,069
    SIDI do have a larger rear heel bungs, but their still slippery. The best idea I found was to get some cleat boots...they protect your cleats from damage walking on them, and increase the grip no end !
  • LardLover
    LardLover Posts: 676
    I wear Sidi's and Speedplay and almost took a swan dive into a public toilet after slipping on the smooth floor in my bare cleats. Yucko.

Was that in your statement to the police crankycrank, when they found you bent over the urinal? :wink:
  • crankycrank
    crankycrank Posts: 1,830
    Fortunately due to a strategically placed flush handle to grab onto I was able to save face, so to speak, with no witnesses. :oops:
  • FOAD
    FOAD Posts: 318
    I have SIDI Genius 5's with Speedplay Zeros on, and pretty much always wear coffee cups on them. Without the cups I have had a couple of slips but have alway found the rubber pad at the back gripped in time to save me from a spill.
  • SBezza
    SBezza Posts: 2,173
    I use Sidi shoes with SPD -SL cleats, can walk OK in them, go up and down stairs on them as well, just very carefully.
  • cougie
    cougie Posts: 22,512
    If you are planning on getting trains and doing stairs, I'd be looking at MTB shoes with Atac or SPD pedals.

Ok - maybe not quite as efficient as road shoes, but they wont have you on your bum going down stairs. I use mine all winter on the road bike, and they're very good.
  • NWLondoner
    cougie wrote:
    If you are planning on getting trains and doing stairs, I'd be looking at MTB shoes with Atac or SPD pedals.

Ok - maybe not quite as efficient as road shoes, but they wont have you on your bum going down stairs. I use mine all winter on the road bike, and they're very good.

Sadly i am having to switch from my SPD's to speedplays which cannot be used with MTB Shoes. I received my 1st ever pair of Sidi's today from wiggle. A lovely pair of Genius 5.5 CC 8) Fit like a glove