Tyres? 700 x 25 or 700 x 23

Anonymous
Anonymous Posts: 79,667
edited May 2009 in Workshop
I suspect this is a daft question, but... I have recently bought a second hand road bike which is fitted with 700 x 25 tyres. They are very cheap and a bit rubbish. So I want to upgrade. However the range of tyres availble in the 700 x 25 size is a bit limited. So can I fit 700 x 23 instead. I guess these are just narrower (by 2mm). Is there anything else I need to consider? Thanks

Comments

• maddog 2
    maddog 2 Posts: 8,114
    no

23s are a tad lighter and (maybe) roll a tad faster. 25s have a bit more comfort and a tad more grip. Very little between them in reality, unless you're racing.
    Facts are meaningless, you can use facts to prove anything that's remotely true! - Homer
  • Bhima
    Bhima Posts: 2,145
    I got some 20mm tyres recently and the sidewall was a lot shorter - resulting in a decrease in total wheel diameter, which I needed to take note of for my speedometer settings.

Not sure weather you get this difference with going from 25s to 23s but it's worth re-measuring your wheel if you need accurate distance readings.
  • GavH
    GavH Posts: 933
    Bhima wrote:
    Not sure weather you get this difference with going from 25s to 23s but it's worth re-measuring your wheel if you need accurate distance readings.

Fairly sure the ETRTO is different for 23s as opposed to 25s, in which casse yes you're correct, this would be a consideration.
  • fnegroni
    fnegroni Posts: 794
    Take also care to measure the 'real' width of the tyre.
    A decent adjustable wrench should do the trick.
    This way, I discovered my Pariba Revolution tyres were slightly narrower than advertised: the front 23c was really a 22mm, and the rear 25c was really a 24mm
    So if you are going from a 'narrow' 25 to a 'wide' 23, you might not be noticing any difference at all.
  • i upgraded my wire 25c's for some folding 23's (micelin lithions) and the are faster, improve handling and in my opionion comfier,

so guess what i would advise