Bike2Work....con opperated from some shops???

Anonymous
Anonymous Posts: 79,667
edited May 2009 in MTB general
Ok, 1stly I am not sure if the shops are operating within the correct rules so make of this what you will.

On the Bike2Work scheme you can get upto £1k worth of vouchers (other schemes may vary).

My work uses Halfords and Edinburgh Bike shops, however another local shop, Alpine Bikes do accept the halfords vouchers.

Spoke to Alpine bikes on friday and confirmed they accept the Halfords vouchers, but they won't sell you a bike at any discounted sale price.

So they have a Iron Horse in there at £999 in their sale, reduced from a lot more. But if you paid with credit card they would give it to you for £999 but on voucher you had to go full rrp. It's a 2008 model also.

Are they not trying to con people here? Or is this some kind of crazy rule?

Just seems a little unfair.....just a heads up to people.

If I've got this all wrong then I appologise.

Ta

G

Comments

• projectsome
    projectsome Posts: 4,478
    one of the rules of the cycle scheme is; the bike shop is not allowed to sell bikes that are in a sale or discounted from the rrp. if you want a bike that's in a sale then you would have to pay full retail for it.

hope this answers your question.
    FARKBOOK TWATTER Happiness is my fucking mood!
  • Anonymous
    one of the rules of the cycle scheme is; the bike shop is not allowed to sell bikes that are in a sale or discounted from the rrp. if you want a bike that's in a sale then you would have to pay full retail for it.

do you not find this a touch unfair at all? and a loophole for some sellers to make more money out of people who wish to get into a sport with a decent piece of equipment?
  • projectsome
    projectsome Posts: 4,478
    GmanUK101 wrote:

do you not find this a touch unfair at all? and a loophole for some sellers to make more money out of people who wish to get into a sport with a decent piece of equipment?

not as such because the you (the customer) don't actually pay full price for it anyway.
    FARKBOOK TWATTER Happiness is my fucking mood!
  • BoardinBob
    BoardinBob Posts: 697
    one of the rules of the cycle scheme is; the bike shop is not allowed to sell bikes that are in a sale or discounted from the rrp.

Sorry but that's incorrect. There's no "rule" saying the bike must be sold at the RRP.
  • Stormtrooper
    Stormtrooper Posts: 420
    I've noticed this with some shops doing interest free. They wont let you have a reduced/sale priced bike on interest free credit.
  • I've noticed this with some shops doing interest free. They wont let you have a reduced/sale priced bike on interest free credit.

Thats probably to do with the fact that the bike shop has to pay the finance company for the 0% scheme for each bike sold through it, so for a sale bike which has less profit on it, they couldnt afford to pay for the 0% interest scheme as well :D
  • Rockhopper
    Rockhopper Posts: 503
    The reason is becasue the shop has to pay money to the cycle to work scheme for each transaction, if they sell an already discounted bike they may not have enough margin left to pay the fee.

Same applies to interest free credit, it costs the shop quite a lot of money to offer this option. If you go for a regular finance agreement (say 20% apr) then the shop gets comission for each agreement it sells. If you go interest free then the shop has to pay the finance company.
  • Rockhopper
    Snap!

JE James however will sell sale bikes on the Cycle To Work Scheme.
  • BoardinBob wrote:
    one of the rules of the cycle scheme is; the bike shop is not allowed to sell bikes that are in a sale or discounted from the rrp.

Sorry but that's incorrect. There's no "rule" saying the bike must be sold at the RRP.

Had the same thing from dales cycles in glasgow when i used the cyclescheme
    seem to be the norm!!!!! they only added 5% to the sale price

did really bother me to too much.... as the monthly payment i pay to cyclescheme comes off from my salary before tax and NI, that i mean that i save on tax that i pay from my salary...
  • dave_hill
    dave_hill Posts: 3,877
    I've noticed this with some shops doing interest free. They wont let you have a reduced/sale priced bike on interest free credit.

That's generally par for the course!!

Have you ever tried bartering a used car dealer right down on price then asking to pay with a credit card? It doesn't happen... :shock: :lol:
    Give a home to a retired Greyhound. Tia Greyhound Rescue
    Help for Heroes
    JayPic
  • Anonymous
    dave_hill wrote:
    Have you ever tried bartering a used car dealer right down on price then asking to pay with a credit card? It doesn't happen... :shock: :lol:

I can see my bike with a free pair of floor matts though glued to each foot ;)
  • Rockhopper
    Around 2.5% charge to the dealer on credit card transactions, lots more on Amex and Diners Club. Switch etc charge a flat fee which used to be 65p per transaction.