God bless Shimano

Kiblams
Kiblams Posts: 2,423
edited May 2009 in MTB general
I just wanted to express my jubilation at getting a 7 gear derailleur working on a 9 speed cassette with a 9 speed shifter. Saved me a fair amount of money (for me anyhow) at a time when I need every penny. :D

Comments

• supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    Aye, they all work! I use a mid 90s XTR mech!
  • stubs
    stubs Posts: 5,001
    Bet you cant get a 7 speed shifter to work with a 9 speed cassette

Had a guy bring me his bike he had fitted a new cassette and chain but he couldnt get it to change gear properly I had to gently explain the difference between 7 and 9 speed
    Fig rolls: proof that god loves cyclists and that she wants us to do another lap
  • redvee
    redvee Posts: 11,922
    When I KO'd the frame on my Kona, I ran an el cheapo Shimano hangerfit mech on my 7 speed cassette with a friction shifter for a week or two till I got hold of a frame repair nut.
    I've added a signature to prove it is still possible.
  • thomasali
    thomasali Posts: 179
    I use latest XTR shifters, with Dura Ace 7700 rear mech, Ultegra 12-27 cassette and a SLX front mech on one bike. On another bike I have 8sp xt shifters, latest XT rear mech, 8sp XTR ti 11-30 cassette and a XTR 952 front mech. Another I have latest XT shifters, Ultegra 10sp rear mech, Ultegra 12-27 cassette and a XTR 952 front mech. All these combos work flawlessly! All on MTBs BTW.
  • Vegeeta
    Vegeeta Posts: 6,411
    I once got a Shimano mech to work that was missing the main spring!
    Rule 64:

Cornering confidence generally increases with time and experience. This pattern continues until it falls sharply and suddenly.

http://www.velominati.com/blog/the-rules/
  • Chaz.Harding
    Chaz.Harding Posts: 3,144
    The mech's work independantly, so any will work on any system, providing that, 1) the rise clears the sprockets, and 2) the chain actually fits!
    Boo-yah mofo
    Sick to the power of rad
    Fix it 'till it's broke